Skip to Content

Are you a social housing tenant looking for a new home that is closer to schools, your work or other services?

Would you like to find a property in the private rental market that better suits your needs?

Rent Choice Transition can help

Rent Choice Transition is being trialled in select districts across NSW, helping those eligible who live in social housing the opportunity to rent a home in the private rental market.

The program can help you by:

  • Finding a suitable private property to rent
  • Supporting you with your new rental payments (for up to three years)
  • Covering some of the costs of moving (up to $2000)

How does Rent Choice Transition work?

If you would like to leave social housing and you already have a job or are engaged with an opportunity Pathways provider, Rent Choice Transition may be able to assist you with rental payments for up to three years.

For the first 12 months, you will pay 25% of your weekly income plus 100% of any Commonwealth Rent Assistance you may be entitled to on your rent – we’ll pay the rest directly to your landlord or real estate agent. The amount you pay will go up gradually after 12 months, but we’ll check in with you along the way to make sure you are well supported to achieve this.

Who is eligible for Rent Choice Transition?

Rent Choice Transition is being piloted in Western Sydney, South Western Sydney, Hunter New England, Illawarra and Murrumbidgee districts. However, where eligible tenants from other areas express and interest, applicants will be considered on a case-by-case basis.

To be eligible, you must be:

  • a current social housing tenant
  • over 18 years of age
  • within the moderate household income limit
  • in stable employment or engaged with an Opportunity Pathways provider
  • able to demonstrate a satisfactory tenancy history
  • willing to find a private rental within three months of approval for the program
  • work with your DCJ Housing officer to demonstrate your ability to afford a private rental tenancy by the end of the subsidy period

Who can I talk to about Rent Choice Transition?

Speak with your social housing provider to find out more about the program that can help you find your new home.

Was this content useful?
Your rating will help us improve the website.
Last updated: 16 Sep 2019