Skip to Content

This fact sheet provides information regarding priority housing for clients who have been approved for the Stolen Generations Reparations Scheme, or are recognised as a Stolen Generations Survivor by a Stolen Generations Organisation (SGO).

Applying for housing assistance

Housing Pathways is the way applications for housing assistance are managed in NSW. It is a partnership between the Department of Communities and Justice – Housing (DCJ Housing), the Aboriginal Housing Office (AHO) and Housing Contact Centre (HCC), and participating community housing providers (CHPs). It aims to provide secure, appropriate and affordable housing opportunities and assistance to all sections of the community with housing needs.

There are a range of housing assistance options available, including:

  • Private rental assistance products
  • Private rental subsidies
  • Temporary accommodation
  • Emergency temporary accommodation
  • Supported and crisis accommodation
  • Affordable housing
  • Social housing.

Clients can apply for housing assistance online, by phone on 1800 422 322 or by attending their local DCJ Housing office or office of a participating CHP.

Priority access to social housing

Clients approved for social housing will be placed on the NSW Housing Register and will be made an offer of housing when a suitable property is available.

Clients cannot apply for priority housing assistance directly. However, when applying for housing assistance they may be assessed as having a priority need if they meet certain criteria.

To be eligible for priority housing as a Stolen Generations Survivor, applicants are required to:

  1. Be eligible for social housing, and
  2. Be a Stolen Generations Survivor, and
  3. Be unable to resolve their housing need themselves in the private rental market.

Stolen Generations Survivors do not need to demonstrate they are in urgent need of housing for this priority housing category. However, if they can demonstrate an urgent housing need, they will be considered for a higher priority category.

Transfer Applications

Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander tenants, including those who are Stolen Generation Survivors, currently living in social housing may apply for a transfer on compassionate grounds to Return to Country.

Evidence requirements for priority housing for Stolen Generations Survivors

Clients will need to demonstrate they are a Stolen Generations Survivor. Evidence to demonstrate this includes a letter from the Stolen Generations Reparations Scheme confirming a successful reparation claim, or a letter from an SGO acknowledging the client as a Stolen Generations Survivor. There is a list of SGOs at the bottom of this factsheet.

Another requirement is to demonstrate an inability for a client to resolve their housing need in the private market. This can be shown in a number of ways, including:

  • Evidence of the number of persons to be housed (for large families), and/or
  • A letter from a support worker, advocate or health professional, and/or
  • Evidence of any unsuccessful attempts to obtain private rental accommodation.

Clients are encouraged to provide as much information about their circumstances as possible so that their needs can be fully assessed.

Private rental alternatives to social housing

For some clients, private rental accommodation may be a better housing solution than social housing. Further information regarding assistance to rent in the private market is available on the Housing Assistance Options Policy.

All clients who have nowhere safe to stay can either attend their local DCJ Housing or Social Housing Management Transfer (SHMT) CHP office, or phone Link2home on 1800 152 152 (24 hours a day).

Useful contacts and further information:

DCJ Housing Contact Centre - 1800 422 322

The Department of Aboriginal Affairs for the Stolen Generations Reparation Scheme - 1800 019 998

Stolen Generations Survivors Organisations:

  • The Children of the Bomaderry Aboriginal Children’s Home Organisation – 02 4422 8829
  • Cootamundra Girls Aboriginal Corporation – 02 9051 1688
  • Kinchela Boys Home Aboriginal Corporation – 02 9051 1690
  • The Stolen Generations Council NSW/ACT –  1800 236 881
Was this content useful?
Your rating will help us improve the website.
Last updated: 21 Nov 2019