Skip to Content

This fact sheet provides information regarding priority housing for clients who have experienced institutional child sexual abuse.

Applying for housing assistance

Housing Pathways is the way applications for housing assistance are managed in NSW. It is a partnership between the Department of Communities and Justice – Housing (DCJ Housing), the Aboriginal Housing Office (AHO) and Housing Contact Centre (HCC), and participating community housing providers (CHPs). It aims to provide secure, appropriate and affordable housing opportunities and assistance to all sections of the community with housing needs.

It may also provide assistance to clients to help them find a suitable housing solution in the private rental market.

There are a range of housing assistance options available, including:

  • Private rental assistance products
  • Private rental subsidies
  • Temporary accommodation
  • Emergency temporary accommodation
  • Supported and crisis accommodation
  • Affordable housing
  • Social housing.

Clients can apply for housing assistance online, by phone on 1800 422 322 or by accessing their local DCJ Housing office or office of a participating CHP.

Priority access to social housing

Clients approved for social housing will be placed on the NSW Housing Register and will be made an offer of housing when a suitable property is available.

Clients cannot apply for priority housing assistance directly. However, when applying for housing assistance they may be assessed as having a priority need if they meet certain criteria.

To be eligible for priority housing on the basis of previous institutional child sexual abuse, applicants are required to:

  1. Be eligible for social housing, and
  2. Have a successful application to the National Redress Scheme, or have received a civil compensation payment in relation to institutional child sexual abuse, and
  3. Be unable to resolve their housing themselves need in the private rental market.

Clients who have experienced institutional child sexual abuse do not need to demonstrate they are in urgent need of housing for this priority housing category. However, if they can demonstrate an urgent housing need, they will be considered for a higher priority category.

Evidence requirements for priority housing

Clients will need to demonstrate they have experienced institutional child sexual abuse. Evidence to demonstrate this includes a letter from the National Redress Scheme, confirming a successful redress claim, or a letter confirming a civil compensation payment in relation to institutional child sexual abuse.

Another requirement is evidence of the client’s inability to resolve their housing need in the private market. This can be shown in a number of ways, including:

  • Evidence of the number of persons to be housed (for large families), or
  • A letter from a support worker, advocate or health professional, or
  • Evidence of any unsuccessful attempts to obtain private rental accommodation.

Clients are encouraged to provide as much information about their circumstances as possible, so that their needs can be fully assessed.

Private rental alternatives to social housing

For some clients, private rental accommodation may be a better housing solution than social housing. Further information regarding assistance to rent in the private market is available on the Housing Assistance Options Policy.

All clients who have nowhere safe to stay can either attend their local DCJ Housing or Social Housing Management Transfer (SHMT) CHP office or phone Link2home on 1800 152 152 (24 hours a day).

Useful contacts and further information:

DCJ Housing Contact Centre - 1800 422 322

The National Redress Scheme - 1800 737 377

Was this content useful?
Your rating will help us improve the website.
Last updated: 13 Sep 2019