Skip to Content

Under Future Directions for Social Housing in NSW the Department of Family and Community Services is helping social housing clients take advantage of economic opportunities through new and expanded programs that help you build housing independence.


The CareerPathways program helps you train for a job while supporting you through the process.

The program is operating in the Hunter region, Sydney, Western Sydney, Central Coast and Northern NSW.

Courses include Individual Support, Cleaning Operations, Business and Hospitality.

CareerPathways can help you to overcome some of the common barriers to training – like travel, costs and childcare – and gain on-the-job experience.


You may be eligible for CareerPathways if you are:

  • living in social housing (public, community or Aboriginal housing)
  • living in crisis or supported accommodation
  • receiving FACS private rental assistance
  • on the NSW Housing register

You must be 17 or older and out of school to participate in CareerPathways. You may need to prove exemption from enrolment in school.


No CareerPathways courses are currently scheduled. Stay tuned for details of courses to be held in 2018 and how to apply. Please send enquiries to

Expressions of Interest – now closed

FACS has sought Expressions of Interest from providers to deliver Career Pathways in 2018. Applications closed on Wednesday 20 December 2017.

Smart and Skilled Fee-Free Scholarships

Are you looking to study a Certificate I, II, III or IV or become an apprentice or trainee? You can get the skills you need to find a job and advance your career without having to worry about your Smart and Skilled course fees.

You may be eligible if you meet any of the following criteria:

  • You are 15-30 and are living in public housing, community housing, Aboriginal housing, or receiving crisis accommodation/supported accommodation or private rental assistance
  • You are 15-30 and you/your parent/guardian/spouse/partner receives a Commonwealth Government payment/allowance or holds a pension concession card issued by Centrelink
  • You are 15-17 and are currently in out-of-home care
  • You are 18-30 and were previously in out-of-home care
  • You are over 15 and are experiencing or have experienced domestic and family violence or are the dependant of a person who is experiencing or has experienced domestic and family violence

For more information, please visit the Smart and Skilled website.

Start Work Bonus

The Start Work Bonus assists tenants starting work for the first time or re-entering the workforce after a break.

You are eligible if you:

  1. start work, and
  2. tell us about starting work within 28 days.

You are not eligible if you:

  • already pay market rent
  • are changing jobs
  • are moving from casual to permanent or from part-time to full-time work.

Find out more about the Start Work Bonus.