Skip to Content

On 1 July 2010, the new Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009 (GIPA Act) replaced the Freedom of Information Act 1989 (FOI Act).

What is ‘Right to Information’ about?

The GIPA Act is designed to promote fair, transparent and open government for the people of New South Wales. The Act also gives members of the public a legal right to request information held by a Government agency.

DCJ Housing will publish as much information about our business as possible on our access to information pages. Here you will find information relating to our functions, policies and other information that may be of interest to you.

We will also respond to other requests for information, either through an informal request for information or a formal access application.

What kind of information can I access?

Some of the information you can request from DCJ Housing may include information relating to:

  • your tenancy
  • a service you have received from us
  • information of a non-personal nature (such as our policies)

How can I access information held by DCJ Housing?

You can either make an informal or formal request for information.

As part of an informal request for information, you can ask for a copy of:

  • your Tenancy Agreement with DCJ Housing
  • Property Condition Report relating to your tenancy
  • your Rental Account Statement
  • your housing assistance forms
  • your correspondence with DCJ Housing
  • information from our website
  • information that has been made publicly available in the past.

A formal access application is required when the information you want:

  • is not already published
  • relates to your entire tenancy record
  • is not available in response to an informal request for access to information.

We do not have to release information as part of an informal request for information. If you make an informal request, conditions do apply. For more information see our Right to Information policy.

Do I have to fill out a form to access information?

All forms are available online or from any local DCJ Housing office.

Information that has been made publicly available or information on the DCJ website will not require an application form.

If you wish to make an informal request for access to information, you will need to fill out an Informal request for information form. This form may be lodged at any local DCJ Housing office or with the Right to Information Unit at DCJ Housing.

For all formal requests for information you can apply online or download the Formal Access application DCJ1014 form and send it to:


Open Government, Information and Privacy Unit
Locked Bag 5000
Parramatta NSW 2124



Proof of a completed EFT funds transfer must accompany any emailed application.

What happens after I lodge my form?

If you have lodged an informal request for access to information, it will be processed within 10 working days.

If you have lodged a formal access application, it will be processed within 20 working days.

Are there any fees or charges?

There are no fees or charges for informal requests for information.

You may be eligible for a 50% discount on processing charges if you:

  • hold a valid Pensioner Concession Card
  • hold a valid Healthcare Card
  • are a full-time student
  • are from a non-profit organisation.

An advance deposit of up to 50% of the total estimated processing charge may be requested by DCJ Housing. We will advise you if this is necessary.

Type of information Application fee Processing charges
Access to information of a personal nature $30.00 The first 20 hours is covered by the application fee after that there will be a charge of $30.00 per hour
Access to information of a non-personal nature $30.00 A processing charge of $30.00 per hour applies for nonpersonal information
Internal review of a decision $30.00 Not applicable

Can I appeal a decision?

You cannot appeal a decision that is made in response to an informal request for information.

You are able to appeal a decision in relation to a formal request for information. Your options are an:

You can request an internal review within 20 working days of receiving a decision. Fees and charges will apply. An internal review application form is available online or from any local DCJ Housing office.

Was this content useful?
Your rating will help us improve the website.
Last updated: 26 Apr 2023