Opportunity Pathways Factsheet
Last published 28 Feb 2019
Opportunity Pathways provides support to social housing clients to access education, training and work opportunities.
Who can Opportunity Pathways help?
Opportunity Pathways is to support social housing clients to access work opportunities. It may include people who are not currently working, who are looking for a job, who want to work more hours or who want to improve their employment situation.
Opportunity Pathways is a free program and if you are aged 17 years and over you may be eligible to participate if you are:
- living in public, community or Aboriginal housing
- receiving a Rent Choice Subsidy; or
- an approved social housing applicant on the NSW Housing Register
The program will provide you with the support you need to achieve your goals.
What are the benefits of participating in Opportunity Pathways?
The program can give you the chance to make an exciting positive change in identifying and achieving learning and working goals.
By joining Opportunity Pathways, you or your household members can obtain training qualifications and receive help to prepare for employment or to find and attend work, depending on your needs. You can also receive help to keep or change your job.
How do I join Opportunity Pathways?
Joining Opportunity Pathways is easy. You can contact an Opportunity Pathways provider directly and they will assess your eligibility for the program.
You can also give consent for your social housing provider, an advocate or support person to contact the Opportunity Pathways provider on your behalf. For more information on the Opportunity Pathways provider in your area go to Opportunity Pathways providers by FACS District.
Your social housing provider may also ask you if you are interested in being considered for Opportunity Pathways program.
How does Opportunity Pathways work?
Your Opportunity Pathways provider will work with you to create a plan based on your personal situation, needs and employment goals.
Through the program (usually up to 12 months) you will have access to courses, work experience, volunteering and mentoring opportunities. You can also receive some practical and financial assistance to pay for things that will help you find and attend work or a training course. This may include childcare, help to obtain a driver’s licence, as well as fuel vouchers and Opal cards to help you get to where you need to go.
You could also choose to receive help with resume writing or developing your interview skills.
Opportunity Pathways includes a range of options to support you to achieve your employment goals and these don’t end once you get a job.
The Opportunity Pathways provider will continue to support you to keep your new job or even help you find a different one.
Will it impact on my eligibility for social housing assistance?
The program is voluntary and there is no impact on your eligibility for social housing assistance if you decide you do not want to participate or leave the program early if you feel it is not the right fit for you.
If you are successful in the program and your income increases, there may be an impact on your eligibility for social housing assistance such as:
- If you live in social housing the amount of rent you pay may increase. For more information, see the Factsheet on income limits for rent subsidy.
- If you live in a FACS managed property, with a fixed term lease, your income may impact your eligibility for another lease. For more information see the Factsheet on income limits at lease review.
- If you are receiving Rent Choice the amount of subsidy you receive may go down or even stop. For more information see the Rent Choice Policy.
- If you are an applicant on the NSW Housing Register your income may mean you are no longer eligible for assistance. For more information see the Applying for Social Housing Factsheet.
- If you live in Community Housing, visit your social housing provider’s website.
Where can I find more information?
For more information see Opportunity Pathways. You can also contact an Opportunity Pathways Provider near you if you have any questions.