Private Rental Brokerage service
Last published 22 Oct 2018
The Private Rental Brokerage Service helps people with complex needs, who have support arrangements in place, to find and sustain accommodation in the private rental market.
People who have a physical or mental illness, drug or alcohol problems, a physical or intellectual disability or other complex needs may be eligible for this service.
How does the Private Rental Brokerage Service work?
The specialist worker from FACS Housing or a Social Housing Management Transfers community housing provider can:
- work with clients and support providers to develop a plan to help them live independently in private rental housing
- speak with agents or landlords to help find suitable private rental housing
- address any problems with previous tenancies
- assist with anything that might adversely affect a client’s tenancy
- work with other agencies to provide coordinated services.
How the Private Rental Brokerage Service can help clients
The Private Rental Brokerage Service helps clients to:
- find private rental housing
- overcome the barriers that prevent them from securing private rental housing
- access a range of private rental products and services
- sustain their tenancy
- actively participate in decisions and live independently
Benefits to real estate agents and landlords
Real estate agents and landlords:
- know that tenants have access to direct support from their FACS Housing or a Social Housing Management Transfers community housing provider to assist in establishing and maintaining their tenancy
- know that support agencies can provide a quick response if tenancy issues arise
- have tenants who are receiving regular incomes
- have opportunities to quickly fill vacant properties
- know that tenants have an understanding of their rights and responsibilities.
Benefits to support agencies
- have assistance to find and secure housing for clients in the private rental market
- have access to private rental assistance for clients
- know that clients’ tenancies in the private rental market are monitored
- have early notice of issues that might threaten the client’s tenancy and stability.
How to apply for the Private Rental Brokerage Service
Support agencies or clients should contact the office of a participating FACS Housing or a Social Housing Management Transfers community housing provider to make an appointment with a specialist worker.
Where the service is available
The Private Rental Brokerage Service is available at the following FACS Housing offices:
- Sussex St
- Central Coast
- Mount Druitt
- Wagga Wagga
The Private Rental Brokerage Service is available at the office of the following community housing provider participating in Housing Pathways:
Please refer to the list of social housing contacts at www.facs.nsw.gov.au for contact details and office opening hours.