Skip to Content

What is changing?

DCJ is transferring the tenancy management of around 14,000 social housing tenancies to community housing providers under the Social Housing Management Transfer program. The NSW Government supports the diversity and service delivery of community housing providers and their ability to make a positive impact on people’s lives.

There are about 144,000 social housing properties across NSW and 19% are already managed by community housing providers. The changes will bring this up to 32%.

This will help us deliver on the Future Directions for Social Housing in NSW reform program aimed at improving social housing tenant outcomes, announced in January 2016.

What are the benefits of the management transfer program?

The NSW Government wants to make sure social housing has a more positive impact on people’s lives. Increasing the management of social housing properties by our community housing partners will:

  • make the most of community networks to deliver better long term outcomes for our tenants and applicants
  • make the social housing system stronger and more diverse
  • access more sources of funding that are available to community housing providers to better support tenants
  • build up the skills and size of the community housing sector.

How were the community housing providers chosen?

The Management Transfer program tender opened for submissions on Monday 27 March 2017 and closed on Friday 26 May 2017. The successful community housing providers were selected following a rigorous evaluation process.

The community housing providers will focus on building partnerships with social housing tenants, applicants, local communities and stakeholders to provide housing services and supports that meet the client’s individual housing needs. They have a common goal to make the social housing system more sustainable, diverse and dynamic.

They are registered under the National Regulatory System for Community Housing Providers and meet national performance standards. They will have additional contractual requirements for achieving better outcomes for tenants.

They will be required to link tenants with appropriate local support services as required, based on individual need.

Who will my community housing provider be and when will the management transfers happen?

Here is a summary of transfer locations, successful community housing providers and proposed dates for the transfer of properties to the successful community housing providers:

Local Government Area Community housing provider Transfer date
Maitland and Port Stephens Hume Community Housing 2 September 2019
Singleton, Cessnock, Dungog, Mid-Coast, Muswellbrook, Upper Hunter Compass Housing Services 3 June 2019
Gunnedah, Tamworth, Walcha, Liverpool Plains, Armidale Regional, Glen Innes, Gwydir, Guyra, Inverell, Moree Plains, Narrabri, Tenterfield, Uralla Homes North Community Housing 6 May 2019
Shoalhaven Southern Cross Housing 22 October 2018
Coffs Harbour, Bellingen Mission Australia Housing 1 July 2019
Nambucca, Kempsey, Port Macquarie-Hastings Community Housing Limited 19 November 2018
Ryde, Hornsby, Ku-ring-gai Link Housing 3 December 2018
Northern Beaches and Mosman Bridge Housing in partnership with the Women’s Housing Company 5 August 2019
North Sydney, Hunters Hill, Lane Cove, Willoughby  SGCH 1 April 2019

Who will own the property I live in?

The NSW Government will still own the property you live in. It will be leased to the community housing provider to manage your tenancy.

Will I be able to meet staff from my community housing provider?

Yes. We will send you an invitation to a drop-in session where you can meet staff from your community housing provider and Family and Community Services. You will be able to ask any questions about the transfer of your tenancy to the community housing provider. If you cannot make this session you will be offered an individual visit.

Will I have to move?

No. You will stay in your home, and the length and conditions of your lease will stay the same.

Will my 'after rent' income change?

Commonwealth Rent Assistance (CRA) is a special payment from the Australian Government to help eligible people pay their rent.

If you are eligible to receive CRA from Centrelink, your rent will change, but more importantly, the amount of money you have left after paying your rent will not change.

How can I claim Commonwealth Rent Assistance?

Your community housing provider will assist you to claim Commonwealth Rent Assistance from Centrelink

What if I am not eligible for Commonwealth Rent Assistance?

Most social housing tenants are eligible for Commonwealth Rent Assistance. If you are not eligible for Commonwealth Rent Assistance your rent will be assessed without Commonwealth Rent Assistance.

Aboriginal Housing Office tenancies

  • The DCJ transfers do not affect AHO tenants.
  • You will not have to move, and your rent, terms and length of your lease stay the same.
  • DCJ will still manage your lease and put you in touch with the services you need.
  • The contact number for repairs and the eRepair app on your phone will be the same.
  • If you have questions, please call your Client Service Officer at DCJ or visit

Who do I call for maintenance?

You will continue to call the Housing Contact Centre maintenance line, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Will my information be given to the community housing provider?

Yes. To help make your transfer to your community housing provider easier for you, the NSW Government has passed legislation to allow us to give information about your housing, including personal and health information about you and your household members to your community housing provider.

Will the new community housing provider allow pets?

The conditions of your tenancy will not change; this includes the allowance to keep suitable pets.

What should I do now?

If you have any questions about the transfers or want to talk to someone, you can:

Was this content useful?
Your rating will help us improve the website.
Last updated: 16 Aug 2023