Skip to Content

A tenancy agreement is a legal document that you sign before you can move into your new home. It sets out the legal rights and responsibilities between a tenant and DCJ Housing. Tenants and DCJ Housing have to comply with the Residential Tenancies Act 2010.

Arranging a time and date to sign the agreement

Once you have told us that you accept the property offered to you, we will contact you to arrange a convenient date and time to sign the agreement. We will try to make the appointment with you as soon as possible so you can move into your new home quickly

The appointment will be held at the local DCJ Housing office that manages the property. However, in special circumstances, appointments can be arranged for other locations. Our discussion with you will help us to determine the most appropriate location.

Please make sure you tell us if you require an interpreter to be present for the appointment so that we can arrange this for you.

What you will need to bring with you to the appointment?

You will need to bring:

  • 2 forms of identification (e.g. your driver’s licence, pensioner benefit card or Medicare card). If you are unsure what to bring, we will tell you what is acceptable
  • proof of income for yourself and other family members over 18 years who will be living with you in the property (eg an income statement from Centrelink or a pay slip). If you are unsure what to bring, we will tell you what is acceptable.

If you haven’t already supplied this information and it is relevant to you, you should also bring:

  • written confirmation of Aboriginality
  • written confirmation about:
    • ongoing access to care
    • management of affairs by the NSW Trustee and Guardian or the Public Guardian
    • any support programs
    • written confirmation that you receive a pension
  • a letter from a community housing organisation verifying that you are moving directly from a community housing lease that started before 1 July 2005
  • 2 weeks rent and water charges. We will tell you what the amount will be using our rent charges estimator

What happens after you sign the agreement?

We will give you the keys to your new home. Please make sure you keep them safe as we do not keep copies or spare keys to your home. If your keys are lost or stolen, you are responsible for organising and paying the cost to have your locks and keys changed.

We will give you your property condition report and ask that you return it to your client service officer within 7 days or as soon as possible.

You need to arrange to have the electricity and/or gas connected. We can tell you how to contact the local electricity or gas company if you're not sure.

You may also want to have a landline telephone connected.

To report or follow up on a maintenance issue by phone, call the Housing Contact Centre and follow the prompts for the maintenance line.

Housing Contact Centre
1800 422 322

Was this content useful?
Your rating will help us improve the website.
Last updated: 16 Aug 2023