Skip to Content

If you live in NSW, you can now apply for housing assistance over the phone, Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.

So we can find out what your needs are we’ll ask you a series of questions.

We’ll also ask for your Medicare number and Centrelink number so that we can quickly confirm your identity, which will help speed up your application. Having this information ready when you call will mean that you don’t have to provide identification in person later.

Please review the list below to determine if any other documentation is required prior to the phone call.

To apply, please call the Housing Contact Centre 1800 422 322.

What you will need

In general, you must be at least 18 years of age however, there are circumstances where clients aged 16 or over but under 18 years of age will be considered.  For more information please see the Eligibility for Social Housing Policy.

In order to submit your application, you will need to provide evidence to demonstrate that you and your household meet the general eligibility criteria for housing assistance. To assess your eligibility for housing assistance, you must provide evidence for yourself and each person on your application aged 18 years and over. If you and your partner are under 18 years of age you must also provide this evidence.

You must provide evidence of:

  • identity, and
  • all sources of income and assets, and
  • New South Wales (NSW) residency or an established need to live in NSW, and
  • citizenship or permanent residency of Australia, and
  • any land or property you or anyone on your application own, or part own, and
  • your ability to sustain a successful tenancy, without support or with appropriate support in place if applicable, and
  • repayments of any former debts to a social housing provider if applicable, and
  • an ongoing medical condition or disability that impacts on the type of housing you or a member of your household need and evidence to support what is required.

Information about the type of evidence we need to assess your application is in the Evidence Requirements Information Sheet.

Was this content useful?
Your rating will help us improve the website.
Last updated: 17 May 2021