Apply for housing assistance
You can apply for housing assistance in NSW either online or by phone. To apply online click the Apply for Housing link below and start your form. The online form is the quickest and simplest way to apply for housing assistance. You just need an email account. You can also apply over the phone. Call the Housing Contact Centre on 1800 422 322, Monday to Friday: between 9am and 5pm to complete your form.
Note: If you have already applied for housing assistance, you can access your information by registering with MyHousing Online Services and/or downloading the MyHousing mobile app on your smart phone today. If you have been approved to be listed on the NSW Housing Register and your circumstances have changed, you can complete the Change of Circumstances online form.
What you will need
In general, you must be at least 18 years of age however, there are circumstances where clients aged 16 or over but under 18 years of age will be considered. For more information please see the Eligibility for Social Housing policy.
In order to submit your application, you will need to provide evidence to demonstrate that you and your household meet the general eligibility criteria for housing assistance. To assess your eligibility for housing assistance, you must provide evidence for yourself and each person on your application aged 18 years and over. If you and your partner are under 18 years of age you must also provide this evidence.
To apply and be eligible for housing assistance you must provide evidence of:
- identity, and
- all sources of income and assets that show your household is within the income eligibility limits, and
- New South Wales (NSW) residency or an established need to live in NSW, and
- citizenship or permanent residency of Australia, and
- any land or property you or anyone on your application own, or part own, and
- your ability to sustain a successful tenancy, without support or with appropriate support in place if applicable, and
- repayments of any former debts to a social housing provider if applicable, and
- an ongoing medical condition or disability that impacts on the type of housing you or a member of your household need and evidence to support what is required.
Information about the type of evidence we need to assess your application is in the Evidence Requirements Information Sheet.
See also housing application online help.
Note: If you have already found a property to rent in the private market and only want to apply for a Rentstart Bond Loan, complete the Rentstart Bond Loan online application. You will be advised whether your Application for Rentstart Bond Loan is approved by SMS and in writing.
During the application process, you can expect
- to receive communication from us via email and SMS
- to be able to update your form over 30 days
- to be able to upload supporting documents online
- that your income and identification details are checked securely online
Other forms you may need to support your application
- Evidence Requirements Information Sheet
- Medical Assessment
- Independent Living Skills Assessment
- Details of Land or Property Ownership
- General Consent to Exchange Information & Authority to Act on Client's Behalf
- Consent to Exchange Information between a Social Housing Provider and a Support Worker
- Acknowledgement and Agreement to Repay Debt
- Housing Statement