Skip to Content

All DCJ Housing tenants are expected to pay rent, water, tenant damage repairs, and any former tenancy debts.

Former tenants are also expected to repay debts (or enter into an agreement to repay) before being approved for further housing assistance.

For more information, see specific conditions for former social housing tenants in the Social Housing Eligibility and Allocations policy supplement

What to do when you have been advised you have a debt with DCJ Housing

If a partial payment or no payment is made to DCJ Housing, we will contact you to advise you that your account is in arrears and organise repayment. You can choose to pay the amount in full or arrange to pay by instalments.

You can go to your local DCJ Housing office to discuss a repayment plan with your Client Service Officer (CSO), including how much you’ll repay each time and how often. We will look at your income and arrange an amount that is affordable for you within a reasonable timeframe. DCJ Housing staff can also put you in touch with a support and/or financial counselling service to help.

How to begin debt repayments

After you have confirmed the repayment amount with your local DCJ Housing office there are various ways you can repay the debt. Your payment options include methods such as BPAY, internet via ePay, or through the MyHousing app. Centrelink deductions can also be arranged with your Client Service Officer.

MyHousing is an online system that lets you access a range of DCJ services, including managing your Housing account, viewing your personal information, checking your debt balance and more. You can create a MyHousing account and log in via a desktop or you can use the app on your smart phone. To use this online service, you will need to register.

Speak to your CSO for more information about your repayment options.

What to do when you cannot afford a debt repayment arrangement

You should contact your CSO immediately and discuss what options are available to you. We can also refer you to a support service to help you with financial options.

Support services and financial counselling

There are many government and non-government support services that can help by providing advice, support, financial counselling and budget planning. To locate a service near you go to Infoxchange Service Seeker or Ask Izzy. You can also find a service in your area through the Financial Counsellors' Association of NSW directory of financial counsellors.

What to do if the debt is due to domestic and family violence

If you are experiencing domestic and family violence and feel that you are not safe in your home, it's important to seek help. In cases of emergency please call Triple Zero 000.

Domestic and family violence can take many forms including physical violence, property damage, and financial control.

If your property is damaged or you fall into arrears, you can talk to DCJ Housing about your situation. Tenants may not be responsible for damage incurred by a criminal act committed by someone else. DCJ Housing will ask you for a Police Event number, police statement or other evidence to verify that you are not responsible for the damage.

If you want to change or end your tenancy due to domestic and family violence, please talk to your CSO as soon as possible.

Tenants NSW's domestic violence factsheet offers further information on tenancy rights in a domestic and family violence situation.

If you need further advice, contact your local Tenants Advice and Advocacy Service, Community Legal Centre or LawAccess NSW.

What to do when you disagree with the debt

If you disagree with the debt amount or believe the debt is incorrect you can go to your local DCJ Housing office and ask for a formal review of the decision. Generally you have 3 months to request an appeal from the date of the original decision. For more details on appeal timeframes see the Client Service Delivery and Appeals policy.

You can also discuss your circumstances with your local Tenants Advice and Advocacy Service, Community Legal Centre or LawAccess NSW.

Was this content useful?
Your rating will help us improve the website.
Last updated: 25 Aug 2023