Information for real estate agents and landlords
Last published 30 Jul 2019
DCJ Housing offers private rental assistance to help more people access safe and affordable housing in the private market. Our private rental assistance products help eligible tenants start and maintain a tenancy. They offer greater security to agents and landlords and may help facilitate more new leases.
We offer assistance in the form of:
- Rentstart Bond Loan – an interest-free loan to cover part or all of the rental bond of eligible people moving into a private rental
- Tenancy Guarantee – up to $1,500 to cover rental arrears of property damage over and above the rental bond
- Tenancy Assistance – up to four weeks’ rent to cover rent arrears and/or water arrears
- Rent Choice – a private rental subsidy that helps you pay the rent for up to three years. Financial assistance may be available if the tenant:
- has had a major financial setback like illness or loss of job
- is escaping domestic or family violence
- is a war veteran
- is a young person aged 16-24 who is homeless or at risk of homelessness.
What’s my role in this?
Your actions will differ depending on which private rental assistance product(s) your tenant is accessing. This could be filling out part of a form or confirming property details with us. Find out more about the actions you need to take by visiting the product pages linked above.
What information can I give to tenants?
We have a range of resources available for you to download and share with your tenants. This includes information in community languages.
- Factsheets in English
- Factsheets in Arabic
- Factsheets in Simplified Chinese
- Factsheets in Traditional Chinese
- Factsheets in Dari
- Factsheets in Farsi
- Factsheets in Vietnamese
Tenants can also call the Housing Contact Centre on 1800 422 322 or visit their local DCJ Housing office or participating community housing provider to find out more.