Private rental advice
Advice to help you understand the private rental market and how to secure and maintain tenancy
Your housing needs
Where do you want to live?
Decide if you need to live near:
- transport (check transport routes by going to Transport NSW)
- services (eg shops, doctors and hospitals, schools, childcare etc)
- friends and family (can they get to you easily and you to them).
It is important to find out which areas have properties for rent at a price you can afford. You may need to consider a range of locations.
If you need to move to a completely new area, the local council or neighbourhood centre can tell you about services in that area.
You can find out where a property is and how to get there by looking up the address on Google Maps.
What sort of home do you need?
- How many bedrooms do you need?
- Do you prefer a house, a flat, or a townhouse?
- Do you need to live on the ground floor or could you live in an apartment with a lift?
- Do you need a property where pets are allowed?
- What other things are you looking for (a fenced garden, parking, a garage)?
How much rent can you afford?
An affordable rent is where you still have enough money left to pay your other household expenses, such as food, bills, credit cards, transport, etc after you have paid your rent. To do this you need to plan a budget.
If your expected expenses are more than your income you may need help to revise your budget, see where you might save, or look for a property in a more affordable area.