Progress on interviews with children and their parent or carer
Interviews with children and their parent or carer in the interview cohort (n=1,789) commenced approximately 18 months after the children and young people entered care. Repeat interviews occur every 18-24 months.
POCLS has had high levels of sample retention, with the following results from the data collection so far:
- Wave 1 (June 2011-August 2013):1,285 children and their parent or carer completed an interview*
- Wave 2 (April 2013-March 2015): 1,200 children and their parent or carer completed an interview
- Wave 3 (October 2014-July 2016): 1,033 children and their parent or carer completed an interview
- Wave 4 (May 2017-November 2018): 961 interviews with children and their parent or carer completed an interview
- Wave 5 (April 2019-August 2020): interviews with children and their parent or carer.
*Children (n=192) restored during Wave 1 were not invited to an interview for practical reasons (recruitment) and ethical reasons (sensitivity) however were invited to joined the study in Wave 2.
Progress on surveys of caseworkers and teachers
The caseworker survey was administered to the final orders cohort during Wave 3. A total of 1,625 of 2,828 caseworkers completed the survey between May 2015-April 2016.
The childcare and school teacher survey is administered to the interview cohort if the child’s caregiver consents. A total of 771 of 1,789 childcare and school teachers completed the survey during Wave 2 to Wave 4. The cross-sectional survey commenced in November 2013 and ended in November 2018.
Progress on linkage data
Administrative data has been linked for all children and young people in the study population (n = 4,126). This includes FACS data on child protection and OOHC, as well as data from the Commonwealth Department of Education, NSW Department of Education, NSW Ministry of Health and NSW Bureau of Crime Statistics and Research.
The following document has a diagram depicting the timeline.