Skip to Content

From time to time FACS Housing can ask tenants to move from their home to another social housing property. We refer to this process as relocating tenants for management purposes.

Why does FACS Housing ask tenants to move?

We may ask you to move for reasons connected with your property, for example, we need to sell or redevelop it, or for reasons connected with your tenancy, for example, the property you are living in is now too big for your household.

How does the relocation process work?

Your Client Service Officer or a specialist Relocation Officer will work with you and your family to determine your housing needs and keep you up to date with what is happening.

We will follow a process that consists of:

  • advising you that you are being relocated and giving you a general timeframe for your move
  • interviewing you so that we understand your housing needs
  • assessing your housing needs
  • finding suitable alternative housing that meets your needs.

During this process, we also discuss:

  • any special considerations
  • relocation or reimbursement of improvements or fixtures you have made to your current property
  • any other issues that arise.

How will I know what my entitlements are?

Following our interview and assessment we will send you a written Relocation Statement confirming:

  • the type and size of the property you will be offered
  • the location you are approved to move to
  • the number of offers you will receive
  • other information about the relocation process, for example, the type and length of lease you will be offered when you move and your entitlement to a rent subsidy.

What happens if my circumstances change?

You must tell us about any changes in your circumstances as soon as possible, even if you think that the change may not affect anything. Any change could affect the housing we offer you and the time it takes to move you.

How many offers will I receive?

Most tenants will get 2 offers of alternative housing. However, in some cases only 1 offer will be made.

How long will it take to relocate me?

In some cases, the move will only take a short time, but in other cases the move could take quite a few months. The time it takes to move you will depend on the type of relocation and the availability of properties that match your requirements.

What happens if I reject all offers of alternative housing?

If you reject all reasonable offers of alternative housing, we will give you notice that we intend to take action through the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal (NCAT) to terminate your tenancy.

For FACS Housing tenants listed for relocation on the NSW Housing Register on the grounds of under occupancy, which is when a tenant has more bedrooms than they are entitled to, a Vacant Bedroom Charge will be applied to their tenancy when they refuse outright to relocate or reject 2 reasonable offers of alternative housing. For more information please see the Vacant bedroom charge fact sheet.

What if I don’t agree with a decision?

You cannot appeal our decision to move you or the decision by FACS Housing to apply the Vacant Bedroom Charge. However, if you disagree with the decision to issue a notice of intention to terminate your tenancy or any decision FACS Housing made throughout the relocation process, you can request a formal review when you receive a notice of intention to issue a notice of termination.

You can appeal decision about standard offers and receiving a notice of intention to issue a notice of termination.

To do this fill in the Application for Review of Decision – Section 149 Residential Tenancies Act available online or at your local FACS Housing office.

Was this content useful?
Last updated: 12 Sep 2019