Mutual exchange program
The Mutual Exchange Program allows FACS Housing tenants to swap their properties.
The program is operated by FACS Housing and tenants must have approval from FACS Housing before they swap homes. Tenants of the Aboriginal Housing Office living in properties managed by FACS Housing can also register for the program.
How can I arrange a mutual exchange?
There are two ways to find someone to swap homes with:
- through our computerised register, which will match your details with suitable tenants or
- you can find someone that matches your requirements. To do this, you may advertise exchanges in newspapers but must not offer any financial or other incentive.
How to register
Complete the Application for Housing Assistance form available online or at your local FACS Housing office.
Completing this form allows FACS Housing to enter the current information about your home and the type of housing you require in the Mutual Exchange Register. You will receive a letter confirming registration.
What happens next?
- When a match is found, we send a letter to each tenant, containing the name and contact phone number of the other tenant.
- It is then up to each tenant to contact each other and decide if they want to exchange. You are under no obligations to accept a swap and you can change your mind at any time prior to signing a new tenancy agreement.
- If you decide to swap, or if you find a swap without using the computerised matching services, fill out the Mutual exchange confirmation and approval form and return it to your Client Service Officer.
- We will inspect your property and check whether you meet the following criteria for exchange:
- Both tenants’ rent, water and other tenancy accounts must be up to date.
- Both properties are in a good condition.
- The type of property and the number of bedrooms in each property must match the needs of each household.
- There are no problems with either tenancy.
- Each tenants’ household income does not exceed public housing income eligibility limits.
- We will advise you in writing of our decision.
- If your exchange is approved, we will make an appointment for both tenants to sign a new tenancy agreement. You will need to arrange to exchange the keys to the properties and organise your own removalist.
What if I don’t agree with the decision?
If you believe we made the wrong decision, you should first discuss your concerns with a Client Service Officer. You can also ask to have the decision reviewed. To do this, fill in the Review of decisions form available at your local FACS Housing office or our website.