Gardening, waste and recycling
Tips for getting the most out of your garden and reducing waste at home
Saving water in your garden
If you have space for a garden it can be a great way to relax, get outdoors and keep active. We encourage tenants to use and improve their gardens.
To save water and get the most out of your garden, we recommend:
- watering early in the morning or late in the afternoon
- watering the base of the plant, instead of overhead
- adding mulch to your garden to keep moisture in the soil
- planting native varieties that need less water and care
- collecting rainwater in buckets and drums for your garden
- sweeping paths or driveways instead of hosing
- leaving lawn 3cm tall or more so it needs less water
- washing your car on the lawn using buckets instead of the hose
Gardens account for around 25% of all household water consumption. Remember to check if there are any local water restrictions that limit your garden water use.
If you live in an apartment building and have neighbours who are interested in gardening, consider starting or joining a community garden.