Skip to Content

Clients who have met the normal eligibility criteria for social housing may be approved for housing assistance as an elderly client if they are confirmed to be an Aboriginal person or Torres Strait Islander and aged 55 years and over.


If you’re seeking housing as an elderly client, you must provide proof of age by producing a:

  • Birth certificate, or
  • Passport.

If none of the above are available, a written estimate of age as recognised by an incorporated Aboriginal organisation or Land Council will be accepted.

Elderly Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander clients must also provide documents that confirm their Aboriginality.

Elderly clients will have to demonstrate that they are able to meet the obligations of their tenancy, with or without support.

Priority assistance

Elderly clients are placed on the NSW Housing Register and will be offered suitable accommodation ahead of wait-turn applicants as it becomes available.

Where there are other household members included on an elderly client’s application (other than the elderly person’s partner) or an elderly person is included in an application with other family members, they will be eligible for this assistance provided that:

  • The elderly person is totally dependent on the other members of the household for 24 hour care, and
  • They provide documentation from a doctor or other healthcare professionals to support the application.
Was this content useful?
Your rating will help us improve the website.
Last updated: 24 Sep 2019