Reducing your water and energy bills
Use energy and water more efficiently so you spend less on bills
Checking for leaks
Leaking taps and toilets are costing you money.
- A leaking toilet can waste 16,000 litres of water a year.
- A dripping tap can waste 24,000 litres of water a year.
A 4 minute shower with a water efficient showerhead uses only around 36 litres of water.
Check your plumbing for any drips or leaks.
- Make sure all taps are turned off, including the washing machine and dishwasher.
- Check your water meter – if the numbers are turning over it means that water is running somewhere in your home. If this is happening, check:
- that water isn’t running into the toilet bowl
- that the hot water service isn’t leaking onto the ground
- that taps aren’t leaking inside or outside your home.
Report dripping taps, running cisterns, leaking hot water service or pipes and faulty water connections to FACS as soon as you notice a problem. If you live in community housing, contact your housing provider directly.