Reducing your water and energy bills
Use energy and water more efficiently so you spend less on bills
Checking for leaks
Leaking taps and toilets cost you money.
- A leaking toilet can waste 16,000 litres of water a year.
- A dripping tap can waste 24,000 litres of water a year.
A four minute shower with a water efficient showerhead uses only around 36 litres of water.
Check your plumbing for any drips or leaks.
- Make sure you turn off all taps, including the washing machine and dishwasher
- Check your water meter – if the numbers are turning over it means that water is running somewhere in your home. If this happens, check:
- water isn’t running in the toilet bowl
- the hot water service isn’t leaking onto the ground
- taps aren’t leaking inside or outside your home.
Report dripping taps, running cisterns, leaking hot water service or pipes and faulty water connections to us as soon as you notice a problem. If you live in community housing, contact your housing provider directly.
Housing Contact Centre 1800 422 322