Housing application online help
Help using the online application for housing assistance
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the Application for Housing Assistance Online?
MyHousing Online Services provides an easy way to apply for housing assistance using the Application for Housing Assistance Online. This allows you to submit an application in your own time at a place that suits you.
- What personal details do I need to submit my application online?
You need an email address, Centrelink number, and two forms of identification such as one of the following; Medicare card, Drivers Licence or Passport. You may also need other documents to support your application,
- What supporting evidence documents will I need?
It is now mandatory to provide evidence documents on the Application for Housing Assistance Online that show you meet basic social housing eligibility criteria this includes documentation to how:
- Proof of identity
- All sources of income and assets
- New South Wales (NSW) residency or an established need to live in NSW
- Citizenship or permanent residency of Australia
- Any land or property you or anyone on your application own, or part owns
- Proof of any ongoing medical condition or disability that impacts the housing requirements of any member of the household
Find more information on what documents you can provide on the Evidence Requirements Sheet PDF, 572.57 KB
You can also provide consent on the online form for DCJ to check your Identification, Centrelink income and Australian Residency Status electronically on the online form so you do not need upload these documents.
- What other supporting evidence can I provide?
You can also provide other supporting documentation to support your application and circumstances, but these documents do not need to be provided prior to submitting your application and can be provided at a later. The Evidence Upload page will guide you on what evidence may be required later, Depending on your circumstances, once your application is submitted DCJ will advise if you will need to provide any further supporting evidence.
- Where do I upload my supporting evidence documents?
To make things easier for clients, DCJ have now added a new Evidence Upload page to the Application for Housing Assistance Online. The Evidence Upload page is where you will now upload your documents to support your Application for Housing Assistance. The Evidence Upload page will guide you on how to upload your evidence documents and you can also use the FAQS, What happens next box, and help texts on this page to assist you to upload you evidence documents.
- I don’t have access to a computer. Can I still apply for housing assistance?
Yes. You can access the form with most internet connected smartphones or tablets. There are self-service kiosks at certain DCJ Housing offices which have computers and free Wi-Fi. Many public libraries also have computers and free Wi-Fi.
- Do I have to apply online?
Applying online is fast and easy, and you can do it from most internet connected devices at any time. But if you would prefer to give us your details over the phone you can call 1800 422 322 between the hours of 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday, or visit your local Housing Pathways office for assistance.
- Is the process easy?
Yes, the process is easy. There are instructions and help throughout the form to guide you. Remember, you can also save and exit and come back to the form at another time. If you get stuck you can call 1800 422 322.
- What if I need help with the online form?
You can call the Housing Contact Centre on 1800 422 322 for help with any part of the online form or you can visit your local Housing Pathways office and speak to a member of our staff.
- Will my information be safe and secure?
- We take the security and privacy of your information very seriously. Here are some easy ways you can keep safe online:
- Always log off or close down your internet browser when you have finished
- Keep your passwords safe
- Be careful when using public or shared computers when you do your secure online business
- Where can I access the online form?
The Housing Application online form is available through the DCJ website https://www.facs.nsw.gov.au/myhousing
- What happens after I submit the form? How long before I hear back?
We will get back to you within 2 business days using the contact details you provided (usually phone or email). We will either let you know the outcome of your application, we may need more information from you, or we may make you an appointment for an interview at an office.
- I keep getting SMS messages about my application. What are they?
The SMS notification is a friendly reminder that you still need to complete your online housing application form within 30 Days.
Your form cannot be processed until you have completed your application and uploaded all evidence required and press submit. To protect your information and ensure it is current, if you leave your application for longer than 30 days it will be deleted.