Opportunity Pathways is a program under Future Directions for Social Housing to help people receiving social housing assistance to access education, training and work.
About the program
The NSW Government has partnered with local Opportunity Pathways providers that can support you to work towards your employment goals and greater housing independence (if it’s appropriate for your situation).
The program offers flexible, tailored support to help you make positive change.
Opportunity Pathways is aimed at people who want to improve their employment options, who are:
- aged 17 and older
- living in social housing as the head of a household or as a household member
- approved social housing applicants
- receiving a Rent Choice subsidy.
To be eligible for the Opportunity Pathways program, you need to be:
- 17 or older and meet the school leaving requirements, and
- living in public, community or Aboriginal housing
- receiving a DCJ Rent Choice subsidy that helps you pay the rent for up to three years until you become independent
- an approved social housing applicant on the NSW Housing Register.
To be accepted into the program you also need to be willing and motivated to take part in – and be able to commit to – a Training, Employment and Housing Plan that we will develop with you.
You will work towards training, employment and/or housing independence goals.
Places in the program are limited. The Opportunity Pathways provider for your area will work out who can take part, based on a priority system. The Opportunity Pathways provider will tell you if you are selected to take part in the program. They will also let you know if you are on a waiting list or are not eligible for the program. Timeframes may vary between different Opportunity Pathways providers.
Referrals to the program and list of providers
Your social housing provider can help to refer you to the program or you can refer yourself by emailing your local Opportunity Pathways provider.
Opportunity Pathways providers across NSW
Opportunity Pathways is available in the following sites across NSW.
|Provider||DCJ District||Sites||Referral email|
|MAX Solutions Pty Ltd||Sydney||Sydney, Burwood, Campsie, Lakemba, Punchbowl, Marrickvilleemail@example.com|
|South Eastern Sydney||Rockdale, Sutherland, Maroubrafirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Northern Sydney||Chatswood, Brookvale, North Rydeemail@example.com|
|Settlement Services International||Western Sydney||Parramatta, Mount Druitt, Auburn, Merrylands, Blacktownfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Evolve Housing||Nepean Blue Mountains||Penrith, Windsor, Katoomba, outreach to Springwood and Lithgowemail@example.com|
|South Western Sydney||Campbelltown, Macquarie Fields, Fairfield, Bankstown, Liverpoolfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Housing Plus||Western NSW||Dubbo, Bathurst, Orange, outreach to Parkes, Central West, Cowra, Mudgeeemail@example.com|
|Far West||Broken Hillfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|BEST Employment||New England||Tamworth, Inverell. Outreach to Gunnedah, Quirindi, Narrabri, Wee Waa, Moree, Armidale, Glen Innes, Tenterfieldemail@example.com|
|Social Futures||Northern NSW||Tweed Heads, Lismore, possible outreach to Clarence Valleyfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Wesley Mission||Mid North Coast||Taree, Port Macquarie, Bowraville, Coffs Harbour, Kempseyemail@example.com|
|Hunter Central Coast||Dungog, Cessnock, Muswellbrook, Westlakes, Newcastle West, Charlestown, Raymond Terrace, Blue Haven, Gosford, Tuggerah, Woy Woy, Wyoming, Wyongfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Illawarra Shoalhaven||Wollongong, Shellharbour, Nowra, Ulladullaemail@example.com|
|Mission Australia||Southern NSW||Goulburn, Queanbeyan, Batemans Bay, Moruyafirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Murrumbidgee||Wagga Wagga, Albury, Griffithemail@example.com|
For more information about Opportunity Pathways, see the:
- Factsheet – this tells you how Opportunity Pathways can help you, what is involved and how to express interest in joining
- Policy – this provides information for people who are referring clients to the program
- Program Guidelines – these are the guidelines for Opportunity Pathways providers.
- FAQs – Rent Choice and Opportunity Pathways – information for service providers on how to deliver Opportunity Pathways in conjunction with Rent Choice