Skip to Content

Support contacts for families with diverse cultural and language backgrounds

Communities and Jusitce  (DCJ) is committed to providing services appropriate to the range of cultures and languages that reflect families in NSW.

Below we list some of our key services where different language options are available.

Using interpreting services to report a child at risk

If you suspect a child or young person is at risk of significant harm, or are worried they're experiencing neglect or abuse, you can can talk to a member of our Child Protection Helpline team about your concerns.

Child Protection Helpline
13 21 11

If you don't feel comfortable speaking English, you can make a report using a professional phone interpreter by contacting the Translation and Interpreting Service first on 131 450. You need to say the language you speak and that you wish to contact the Child Protection Helpline.

Using the Translation and Interpreting Service to make a report about a child or young person does not cost any money.

Legal services

To find a free legal service in your area, call

LawAccess NSW
1300 888 529

Call the Telephone Interpreter Service first on 131 450 if you need help to do this.

You can also visit our website page listing legal services and support including local community legal centres and Family Violence Prevention Legal Services.

Carers of children from different language and cultural backgrounds

Read about the practical ways carers can support children and young people from different language and cultural backgrounds.

Disability services

People caring for children and young people with a disability who are also from a different language and cultural background can find support through the Multicultural Disability Advocacy Association of NSW (MDAA).

Multicultural Disability Advocacy Association of NSW (MDAA)
02 9891 6400 or (free call number) 1800 629 072

MDAA advocates for the rights of people with disability  from a culturally and linguistically diverse background in NSW and also their families and carers. This includes helping them understand their rights and what support they can access such as services funded by the National Insurance Disability Scheme (NDIS).

More support services

Migrant Resource Centres

The range of services provided by Migrant Resource Centres differ from one centre to another. Assistance includes providing information and advice about services, networks and organisations catering to different language and cultural groups.

Find a list of Migrant Resource Centres in New South Wales.

Ethnic Community Services Co-operative

Provides support and assistance to families from different cultural and language backgrounds. This includes multicultural children services, disability services, services for older persons and training on how best to work with different cultural groups called "cultural competency".

Ethnic Community Services Co-operative
02 9569 1288

Humanitarian Settlement Program (HSP)

Offer refugees support on arrival to Australia, including short-term accommodation, health assessments, links to their community, and more. Individuals also receive support from a caseworker in areas such as education, employment and the English language.  In NSW, the HSP is delivered on behalf of the Australian Government by:

Australian Red Cross
Settlement Services International 


STARTTS is the NSW Service for the Treatment and Rehabilitation of Torture and Trauma Survivors. It provides culturally relevant support to help people and communities heal from refugee trauma and rebuild their lives in Australia.


Transcultural Mental Health Centre

The Transcultural Mental Health Centre (TMHC) work with people from culturally and linguistically diverse communities, health professionals and partner organisations across NSW to support good mental health.

Transcultural Mental Health Centre

Was this content useful?
Your rating will help us improve the website.
Last updated: 20 Mar 2023