Skip to Content

Peak Aboriginal bodies

Aboriginal Child, Family and Community Care State Secretariat (AbSec)
A not-for-profit organisation, AbSec is recognised as the peak NSW Aboriginal organisation providing child protection, and out of home care policy advice on issues affecting Aboriginal children, young people, families and carers
02 9559 5299

Aboriginal Disability Network NSW
02 9370 3100

NSW Aboriginal Land Council
02 9689 4444

SNAICC - National voice for our children
The national non government peak body in Australia representing the interests of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children


Grandmother’s Against Removal (GMAR NSW) advocates for the welllbeing of Aboriginal children and young people particularly their right to remain within the Aboriginal family structure

A national advocacy organisation dedicated specifically to the rights - and overcoming the disadvantage - of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people
02 9280 0060


Aboriginal Statewide Foster Carer Support Service
Information, support and training opportunities for carers of Aboriginal children and young people in NSW
1800 888 698

My Forever Family NSW
Support, training and advocacy service for all carers in NSW
1300 782 975

Children and family

Aboriginal Maternal and Infant Health Services
Map and listing of contact numbers for AMIHS 

Services at AMIHS include:

  • Comprehensive and regular antenatal health checks
  • Booking into maternity hospitals
  • Smoking cessation programs
  • Referral and support to access other services
  • Health promotion and community development activities
  • Postnatal checks and support
  • Information on infant feeding and nutrition.

Deadly Tots
Great information and resources about parenting programs (some are free) for Aboriginal families, free printable resources, Deadly Tots app, ATSI events noticeboard and more.

Parent Line NSW
1300 130 052

Drugs and alcohol

Your Room
Information to support Aboriginal people in NSW in reducing the harms caused by alcohol and drugs and to help our mob become healthier. Info includes the effects of drugs and alcohol including on pregnancy and breastfeeding; how support and treatment, such as detox and rehab, work; and contacts for support and services for problematic alcohol and other drug use.


Aboriginal kids should have their own learning plan. Speak to the school or contact the Department of Education to learn more about Aboriginal education and training plans.

Alternatively you can contact one of the following organisations:

Aboriginal Education Council
A not for profit community organisation comprising of Indigenous and non-Indigenous Australians supporting educational programs which contribute to achieving its vision of a highly educated and empowered Aboriginal population
02 9660 5696

Aboriginal Education Unit
02 9582 5800

NSW Aboriginal Education Consultative Group
Aboriginal Education Consultative Group provides advice on behalf of Aboriginal communities on education and training
02 9550 5666

Tranby Aboriginal College
An alternative, independent learning environment
Freecall: 1800 601 988

Indigenous Professional Support Unit NSW (child care/preschools)
1800 450 472

Child Care Access Hotline
1800 670 305 to find child care or visit

Health and disability services

Aboriginal Health
The Aboriginal health section of NSW Health has information about supporting the health of Aboriginal communities, immunisation, tobacco use, maternal and infant health services, early childhood health services and more.

Take your child for a check up and talk to your doctor or Aboriginal Medical Service. You can find an Aboriginal Medical Service by calling 02 9212 4777

Aboriginal Medical Services (AMSs) and other A&TSI Health Services
Take your child for a check up and talk to your doctor or Aboriginal Medical Service

Aboriginal Health and Medical Research Council
02 9212 4777

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Engagement Strategy
A guide to how National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) will be delivered to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people across Australia written in an easy read format

Australian Indigenous Health InfoNet

Life Without Barriers
A leading social purpose organisation working in more than 440 communities across Australia supporting children, young people and families, people with disability, older people and people with mental illness.
1800 935 483


Aboriginal housing

Aboriginal Tenants Advice and Advocacy Service

Housing Contact Centre - Aboriginal Enquiry Line
An Aboriginal staff member of DCJ works on this phone line Monday to Friday. They can help you with your housing and rental issues. If an Aboriginal staff member is not there when you ring, you can leave a message. An Aboriginal staff member will call you back as soon as they can. You can talk to a non-Aboriginal staff member if you want.
1800 422 322

Leaving care

Link-Up (NSW) and Family Link
Research, reunions and social, emotional and wellbeing services for Aboriginal people who have been separated from their families and culture
1800 624 332

Marungbai Aboriginal Service
Supports Aboriginal young people who have been in care
1800 422 555 or 02 6551 3973

Aboriginal Affairs Family Records Unit
To apply for the “Finding your Mob” personal family history research
1800 019 998

Legal help

Aboriginal Legal Service
02 8303 6600
Monday to Friday 9am to 5.30pm

Binaal Billa Family Violence Prevention Legal Service
This centre covers the covers the Lake Cargelligo and Murrin Bridge areas of Griffith in south-west NSW
1800 700 218 or 02 6850 1234

Civil law service for Aboriginal communities (part of Legal Aid NSW)
1800 793 017 or 02 9219 5057

Many Rivers Family Violence Prevention Legal Service
This service is based in West Kempsey
02 6562 5856 or 02 6562 4856

Warra Warra Legal Service
This service is for people living in Broken Hill, Dareton and Wilcannia in Far Western NSW. No website but check out the Warra Warra Legal Service Facebook page
184-186 Argent St, Broken Hill NSW 2880
08 8087 6766

Women’s Legal Service NSW
02 8745 6900

Other key Aboriginal organisations

Abcare (Coffs Harbour and surrounding areas)
02 9559 5299

Anglicare Aboriginal Partnership (Leeton/Griffith)
1800 367 837

GLMACS (Great Lakes Manning Aboriginal Children’s Services) – Biripi Aboriginal Corporation Medical Service
02 6551 2088

Barnados Aboriginal Partnership (Orange)
02 6342 4223

Burrun Dalai Aboriginal Corporation
02 6562 1913

Illawarra Aboriginal Corporation – Myimbarr
02 4226 3358

KARI Aboriginal Resources
02 8782 0300

Ngunya Jarjum Aboriginal Child and Family Network
02 6626 3700 / 0400 521 488

Ngurambang (in partnership with Uniting Care Burnside)
02 6885 5010

South Coast Medical Service Aboriginal Corporation OOHC
02 4428 6666

South Coast Medical Service Aboriginal Corporation OOHC (in partnership with MacKillop)
1300 791 677

02 4957 5900

Waanggay - RivMed & Anglicare Partnership (Wagga)
02 6927 0400

Was this content useful?
Your rating will help us improve the website.
Last updated: 01 Apr 2020