Skip to Content

Department of Communities and Justice (DCJ)

DCJ wants to build stronger communities in NSW by supporting people in our society who need help most.

We fund programs to help children and families, people with a disability, and older people.

We support vulnerable children, young people and families.

DCJ has a statutory (legal) responsibility to protect children and teens in NSW from risk of significant harm. To achieve this, we work closely with other NSW government departments, non-government organisations (NGOs) and the community.

We provide funding to organisations that support children and families. This support includes programs that:

  • help new parents who may be struggling
  • teach positive parenting to create stronger families
  • help parents dealing with problem alcohol and other drug use
  • support families managing mental health issues, intellectual disability or learning difficulties.

DCJ funds care for children and teens who are not safe living at home. This includes foster and kinship care. We also support adoption, guardianship and permanent care options to ensure children get the best possible start in life.

If you are concerned that a child is being harmed or is not safe at home, you can call the Child Protection Helpline any time, day or night, 7 days a week on 13 21 11.

We support people facing domestic and family violence.

If your partner, husband, father or someone else at home is making you scared and is being abusive or violent towards you or your children, you can call for help. The Domestic Violence Line 1800 656 463 is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

We also provide support for people who have escaped from domestic and family violence and abuse including assistance called Staying Home Leaving Violence and also Start Safely.

If you are an older person (usually over 65-years-old) experiencing abuse or are concerned about another older person who may be experiencing abuse, please call the Elder Abuse Helpline and Resource Unit on 1800 628 221.

If you require an interpreter, first call 131 450, then tell the operator your preferred language and ask for access to the Elder Abuse Helpline. The Elder Abuse Helpline is a free, confidential service that provides advice and referrals to support older people experiencing abuse.

We provide housing assistance and support to eligible persons.

We provide support and services to people who need help with housing and meet eligibility criteria. Our services include:
  • financial aid for people struggling with paying the rent or who want to start renting
  • providing affordable places to live for people on low to moderate incomes including public housing, community housing and Aboriginal housing. This type of housing assistance is called “social housing”
  • programs to help people who are living in social housing achieve more from life.

You will need to meet some eligibility criteria to access services. For more information, call the Housing Contact Centre on 1800 422 322.

If you need a place to stay for a short time because you are homeless or at risk of homelessness, call Link2Home at any time, day or night, on 1800 152 152.

Phone numbers for urgent help

If you are homeless or need a temporary place to stay Link2Home
1800 152 152
Domestic and family violence NSW Domestic Violence Line
1800 656 463
Report child abuse or neglect Child Protection Helpline
13 21 11
Elderly person at risk Elder Abuse Helpline
1800 628 221
Monday to Friday
8.30am - 5pm
Emergencies NSW Police or Ambulance

Interpreter and translation services

If you want to use DCJ services but don’t speak English or have difficulty speaking English, use the free interpreting and translation services below.

For housing matters:
All Graduates Translating and Interpreting Service: 1300 652 488
(All Graduates will phone the housing provider and interpret for you free of charge).
To learn more, visit the All Graduates website:

For other matters:
Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS National): 131 450
(The service covers more than 150 languages. This is a free service).
To learn more, visit the TIS website:

  • DCJ has an obligation to provide qualified interpreters when doing interviews and talking about complex matters or sensitive issues.
  • In most cases, family and friends cannot act as interpreters but they can stay during an interview or meeting to provide support.
  • Family and friends can only act as an interpreter if DCJ cannot obtain a qualified telephone or onsite interpreter.
Was this content useful?
Your rating will help us improve the website.
Last updated: 20 Mar 2023