Resources for caseworkers
Resources for all caseworkers
In this time of the COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic, OOHC caseworkers can refer to the factsheet highlighting the allowances in and outside of DCJ and the application form and checklist to assist with applying for additional resources and allowances in the leaving care plan.
- COVID-19 factsheet: Assistance available for young people through the leaving care planning process- outlines a range of supports available and how to access them
- COVID-19 application form and checklist for non-government OOHC agencies - streamlined approval process for leaving care supports funded by DCJ and a checklist of other supports available for young people to consider during leaving care planning.
- Information for Permanency Support Program (PSP) service providers can also assist to answer questions about service provision and support during COVID-19.
DCJ website resources:
- Care Leavers' Charter of Rights
- Casework Practitioner’s Guide to leaving and aftercare - outlines essential tasks to assist young people at ages 15, 16, 17 and 18-24 and questions to consider during leaving care planning
- Guidelines – leaving care and after care
- Independent Living Skills Checklist - complete this with the young person, it is a good place to start the leaving care planning process
- Leading the way - A guide for carers to help prepare young people to leave care as independent adults
- Leaving and aftercare videos
- Leaving Care Planning Guiding Principles
- Living Arrangement Agreement Template - A template agreement for when a young person continues living with their carer after turning 18
- Living Agreement Discussion Guide for caseworkers - A discussion guide to be used with the carer and young person when completing a Living Arrangement Agreement.
- Moving forward with Leaving Care 'Future' Planning
- Post Care Education Financial Support for Carers
- Preparing young people to receive a large sum of money
- Public Guardian with an advocacy function: NGO checklist for applications
- Reconnection Planning Guiding Principles
- Work and Development Order factsheet
- Your Next Step - Information for young people as they transition from care to independence
Agency website resources:
- The CREATE Foundation resources include the CREATE Your Future web site and Go Your Own Way Info Kit for young people aged 15 and above who are starting to plan for their transition to adulthood and independence.
For DCJ caseworkers only
- Case planning review template (require DCJ login)
- Minister's Leaving care letter template (require DCJ login)
- Application for appointment of public guardian with advocacy function
- Family Finding
The YOU website is a great resource providing information for 15–25-year-olds who are, or have been, in care and encourages them to know their rights, plan for the future, and ask for support to help make informed decisions.