Skip to Content

Making a report

How to make a report

If a child or young person is in immediate danger phone Triple Zero immediately.

Reporters can report matters to the Helpline by:

Before making a report to the Helpline it is important to have as much essential information as possible. The detail and quality of the information provided is critical to the quality of the decision making that follows. When making an eReport, it is important to provide comprehensive evidence which includes a detailed description of direct observations that indicate a child may be at ROSH.

If possible, reporters should have following information ready when making a report:

  • Information about the child, including: their name, address, date of birth or details about their family/significant others
  • Details of the ROSH (such as the date, type of risk, detailed observations, details of person/s causing or contributing to the significant harm)
  • Impact of the incident on the child
  • Network of supports around the child
  • The reporter’s details, including call back information

You should find out if a child is, or may be, Aboriginal so that the specific protections under the legislation for Aboriginal children can be applied to the child. You should also let the Helpline know who is in the family. This does not only mean the members of the household, but also any extended family or kin that you are aware of.

Sometimes you may not have all of this information. At a minimum, DCJ needs to have enough information to help identify and locate the child or class of children who are reported to be at ROSH.

You can also gather further information to inform a report by engaging with the child and related services, and/or exchanging information with other organisations working with the child and their family. You are permitted to do this under Chapter 16A of the Care Act if the other organisation is a prescribed body and the requirements of Chapter 16A are met.

Non-English speaking reporters

Reporters requiring the assistance of an interpreter can contact the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS National) on 131 450. The service covers more than 150 languages.

The NSW Health Care Interpreter Service offers free, confidential and professional interpreters for patients, their families and carers who do not speak English as a first language or who are Deaf when they use public health services.

More information is available at:

Was this content useful?
Your rating will help us improve the website.
Last updated: 03 May 2021