Skip to Content

The Department of Communities and Justice (DCJ) is committed to helping young people in out-of-home care gain the benefits of a good education and, wherever possible, encourages them to attain their Higher School Certificate and go on to further education.

Many young people in care turn 18 while completing Year 12 and would find it hard to study if they had to look for somewhere to live at the same time.

Post Care Education Financial Support aims to avoid this by paying an allowance to carers to continue to provide a home and support for young people aged 18 to 24 while they complete their Higher School Certificate (HSC).

Post Care Education Financial Support is provided to carers fortnightly and is not means tested.

Carers apply through their agency

DCJ carers will receive a Post Care Education Financial Support application form in the mail or from their caseworker. Carers should complete the application form and return it to DCJ.

Carers with a non-government agency apply through their agency. Further information about the application process is provided to carers by their agency.

Other financial support to help with education costs

The carer may also continue to receive Teenage Education Payment (TEP) installments.

Information for non-government organisations

Non-government organisations can use this sample letter to let carers know about this financial support when the child in their care is nearing the age of eligibility.

Caseworkers should talk to eligible carers and provide them with the FAQs and application form.

The policy and procedure documents detail information for caseworkers.

Post Care Education Financial Support is requested via the ChildStory Partner Community and is paid to the NGO fortnightly for forwarding in full to the carer.

Frequently asked questions about Post Care Financial Support

Resources list

Was this content useful?
Your rating will help us improve the website.
Last updated: 06 Mar 2020