Skip to Content

Below is information previously published on statutory out-of-home care agency recordkeeping.  A new webpage and updated content will be launched shortly.  For any queries or further information, please send an e-mail to either the mailbox or mailbox.

This page contains information about out-of-home care (OOHC) recordkeeping requirements for Non-Government Organisation (NGO) providers, as outlined in Section 170 of the Children and Young Persons (Care and Protection) Act 1998.

At the bottom of this page, are resources with specific information about the transfer and retrieval of paper and digital records from your organisation to DCJ.

How does this affect your organisation?

If you work for a statutory OOHC agency, this legislation means your organisation must keep the records of each child and young person for seven years after they have left care with your agency. After seven years, all records must be sent to DCJ. Statutory OOHC agencies must also deliver records to DCJ if their organisation closes or is no longer funded by DCJ.

What records do we mean?

We are referring to any paper and digital documents about the placement of children and young people in OOHC.

These records:

  • capture the development, history and identity of children, young people and their carers, and
  • provide evidence of the services and activities carried out by service providers for the case management of children and young people in their care.

They do not include records related to the governance, management or operation of your organisation.

Where can I go for more information?

For further information, please speak to your Contract Manager. For technical or logistical questions related to record transfer:

DCJ Staff Support Centre
(02) 9377 6000


Was this content useful?
Your rating will help us improve the website.
Last updated: 26 Apr 2022