Skip to Content

Family and Community Services (FACS) is committed to ensuring young people in out-of-home care gain the benefits of a solid education and, wherever possible, encourages them to attain their Higher School Certificate and go on to further education.

Young people due to transition to independence from out-of-home care at the same time that they finish school are at risk of not attaining their HSC or equivalent if they need to establish independent accommodation at this time.

Many young people turn 18 while they are completing year 12. This is even more likely for young people in out-of-home care who because of the circumstances which led them to enter care may mean they finish school at an older age than their peers.

That’s why we’ve introduced the Post Care Education Financial Support.

A new, non-means tested payment aimed at helping young people aged 18 to 24 complete their NSW Higher School Certificate, this payment provides financial support to their carer to maintain the current living and support arrangements.

Carers apply through their agency

FACS carers will receive a Post Care Education Financial Support application form in the mail. These carers should complete the application form and return it to FACS.

Carers with a non-government agency will need to apply through their agency. Further information about the application process will be provided to carers by their agency.

Alternatively both FACS and non-government agency carers can complete the application form, and return it to their agency if they would like to initiate the process.

Other financial support to help with education costs

The carer may also continue to receive Teenage Education Payment (TEP) installments.

Information for non-government organisation

Non-government organisations can use this sample letter to let carers know about this financial support when the child in their care is nearing the age of eligibility.

Caseworkers should talk to eligible carers and provide them with FAQs and application form.

The policy and procedure documents detail information for caseworkers when helping carers apply.

A quarterly NGO report is produced along with a tax invoice for NGO’s to claim carer allowance component of the unit cost to forward to eligible carers.

Frequently asked questions about Post Care Financial Support

Resources list

Was this content useful?
Last updated: 24 Sep 2019