As you would be aware, there's currently a COVID-19 pandemic. Please read the current information for seniors on this virus from NSW Health.
Seniors Card NSW
The NSW Government introduced the Seniors Card in 1992 to encourage older people to enjoy an active and healthy retirement. The program is free to join, is not assets-tested and you are not required to disclose your income. To qualify, you must be a New South Wales permanent resident aged 60 or over, and work no more than 20 hours a week of paid employment (averaged over 12 months)
The introduction of the Senior Savers Card provides seniors who are working more than 20 hours per week with access to the same discounts and offers and not yet eligible for the Seniors Card. When Senior Savers Card holders start working less or retire completely, they can then convert to a Seniors Card with the full government transport concessions for retirees.
Currently NSW Seniors Card has over 1.7 million members and over 7,400 participating businesses. The NSW Seniors Card provides benefits to both members and businesses alike.
- Get the prized Gold Opal Card – with the best NSW transport discounts around (NSW Seniors Card holders only)
- Access transport concessions Australia-wide – check the Seniors Card website in the state you’re visiting for details.
- Access discounts and deals at over 7,400 businesses state-wide – from shops to tradies to travel to financial and professional services and lots more.
- Use reciprocal rights in other states – just show your card and ask.
- Receive exclusive special offers, competitions and more – from our generous Seniors Card business partners.
- Get monthly email updates and information – all the latest in our lively EXTRA eNewsletter.
- Its free to join – all you do is agree to offer an approved discount or benefit to NSW Seniors Card members.
- Connects your business with over 1.7 million Seniors Card members state wide.
- Promotes your business in directories, emails, online and on the Seniors Card mobile app.
- Sets your business apart for a large, growing, loyal and vocal group of customers you can’t afford to ignore.
- Tells seniors you care – contributes to your community by helping them get better deal and achieve a better quality of life.
- Earns you their appreciation, business and loyalty.
To find out more or apply for a Seniors Card visit the Seniors Card website.
Links to more information and support
The NSW Government is responsible for enhancing opportunities for older people across NSW and for providing access to mainstream services and facilities, like public spaces, transport, health care and social housing. However, we do not control other important areas that affect older people, such as aged care, income support and superannuation. These are the responsibility of the Commonwealth Government.
The following links may help you find the information you need:
- My Aged Care for information about aged care services
- Centrelink for information about income support, including the age pension
- Carer Gateway for information for carers, including people caring for a parent or partner
The NSW Government also funds the following organisations to inform and represent older people in NSW. They may provide information and services that are useful to you: