NSW Carers (Recognition) Act
On this page:
- About the Act
- What the Act means for public sector agencies
- What the Act means for human services agencies
- Resources to implement the Act
- Translated resources
About the Act
The NSW Carers (Recognition) Act 2010 (the Act) formally recognised the significant contribution carers make to the people they care for and the community. It enacted the NSW Carers Charter and established the Carers Advisory Council.
The NSW Carers Charter
The NSW Carers Charter recognises the valuable contribution that carers make and provides guidance on issues of significance for carers. The Charter is set out in Schedule 1 of the Act.
The Carers Advisory Council
The Act established the NSW Carers Advisory Council to promote the interests of carers. The Council also reviews and makes recommendations to Ministers on relevant issues affecting carers.
The 2016 review of the Act
The Act was reviewed in 2016 and the final report on the review of the Act contained 10 recommendations. The Act was amended on 1 June 2017 to implement three of these recommendations.
What the Act means for public sector agencies
The Act requires public sector agencies, which includes government departments and local councils, to:
- take reasonable steps to ensure that staff are aware of and understand the NSW Carers Charter
- consult with carers or organisations that represent carers when developing policies that impact on carers
- have regard to the NSW Carers Charter when developing their human resource policies.
What the Act means for human service agencies
Human service agencies are public sector agencies that provide services to carers or the people they care for. In addition to their obligations as public sector agencies, human service agencies must:
- ensure the principles of the NSW Carers Charter are reflected in their core work
- report annually on their compliance with the Act.
An annual Reporting Template has been developed to help guide human service agencies with their obligations under the Act:
Resources to implement the Act
- Implementation Guidelines for Public Sector Agencies - guidance for public sector staff to implement the Act (updated in 2022. Contains recommendations following the 2016 statutory review of the Act).
- Fact Sheet: Guide for public sector staff
- Fact Sheet: Guide to the NSW Carers (Recognition) Act - General guide about the Act.
- Carers Charter poster
- Aboriginal Carers Charter poster