MACA Media Awards
Nominations are now open for the 2021 MACA Media Awards!
MACA Media Awards 2021
Winners Announced 2021 MACA Media Awards
The Ministerial Advisory Council on Ageing (MACA) developed the awards to celebrate media reporting that highlights the real experiences of older people.
The MACA Media Awards seeks to challenge negative stereotypes towards older people by highlighting examples of balanced and realistic media reporting on older people and ageing.
Realistically portrayed stories of Seniors are vital, varied and fascinating, and they deserve to be told.
Winners for the 2021 MACA Media Awards were announced at a ceremony in Sydney on Wednesday 21 April.
2021 MACA Media Award Winners:
- Advertising: Stop Financial Abuse- statewide radio campaign: Seniors Rights Service
- Responding in Crisis: Dr Fiona Stanley on how COVID-19 is changing Australia, ABC 7:30
- Images: Love and Dementia: Anne and Edie, Lisa White
- Influencers: I’m neither optimistic nor pessimistic – I’m fired by fury, Jane Caro
- Health and Lifestyle: Smart Steps, The Project, Network Ten
- News and Current Affairs: When Alzheimer's Disease came for my husband, I was left like a widow who cannot mourn, Muriel Porter
- Gold MACA: Jean Kittson
2021 MACA Media Award Finalists:
News and current affairs:
- Peggy Giakoumelos and Emma Lawson,SBS News: I wasn’t a feminist trailblazer, I just wanted to fly a plane
- Muriel Porter: When Alzheimer's Disease came for my husband, I was left like a widow who cannot mourn
- Nine News: Seniors Swarming the internet to exercise
Responding in crisis:
- Crikey: Coronavirus missing voices series
- ABC 7:30 Report: Dr Fiona Stanley on how COVID-19 is changing Australia
- Zoe Daniels: Sydney aged care residents treated to message from schoolchildren during coronavirus
- Jean Kitson: We need to stop thinking of the elderly as a burden
- Beverley Hadgraft: I did it my way
- Jane Caro: I’m neither optimistic nor pessimistic –I’m fired by fury
- Kate Holmes: From rejection to relief
- Lisa White: Love and dementia: Anne and Edie
- Catherine Cordasco: Village of the Future
Health and Lifestyle:
- Newcastle U3A: Older But Bolder Newcastle
- The Project, Network Ten: Smart Steps
- Seniors Rights Service: Stop Financial Abuse- Statewide radio campaign
- South West Community transport advertisement
The Awards are part of the NSW Seniors Festival which runs 13-24 April. Read more here: seniorsfestival.nsw.gov.au