Disability Council overview
About us, Our purpose, Council member profiles, and Becoming a member
About the Disability Council
The Disability Council NSW (also known as 'the Council') was established under the Community Welfare Act 1987, and was transferred under the Disability Inclusion Act 2014 (The Act) on 3 December 2014. The Disability Inclusion Act 2014 provides a rights-based legislation framework for the Council.
The Council's main responsibilities under the Disability Inclusion Act 2014 are to:
- monitor the implementation of Government policy
- advise the Minister on emerging issues relating to people with disability, and about the content and implementation of the State Disability Inclusion Plan and disability inclusion action plans
- advise public authorities about the content and implementation of disability inclusion action plans (public authorities include Government Departments and local councils and some other bodies listed in Claus 5 of the Disability Inclusion Regulation 2014 such as the State Library)
- promote the inclusion of people with disability in the community and promote community awareness of matters concerning the interests of people with disability and their families
- consult with similar councils and bodies, and people with disability
- conduct research about matters relating to people with disability.
The Council has 12 members, including a Chairperson and Deputy Chairperson. Each member is appointed for up to four years by the Governor of NSW on the recommendation of the State Government's Minister for Disability Services.
Members are selected to be on Council because:
- they live with a disability
- they are an expert on disability
- they want to improve the lives of people with disability.
The Council’s members have a variety of disabilities and backgrounds. Members include people from Aboriginal or cultural and linguistically diverse backgrounds (CALD), young people and also people from rural and regional NSW. In addition, the Council includes members who are carers or family members of people with disability.
The Council is funded and resourced by the NSW Government through the NSW Department of Family and Community Services (FACS) and is supported by a secretariat team within FACS.
The Council members meet bi-monthly.
View our Youtube video about the Disability Council NSW in Auslan with subtitles.