Applications for membership now open
The Disability Council is the official adviser to the NSW Government on issues affecting people with disability, their families and carers.
Applications for membership of the Disability Council NSW are now open. The NSW Minister for Disability Services, the Hon. Gareth Ward MP, will make recommendations on the appointment of up to five members to Her Excellency the Honourable Margaret Beazley AO QC, Governor of NSW. Membership terms are for up to four years duration.
Successful applicants for membership of the Council need to:
- Be members of, or persons employed by, organisations concerned especially with the interests of people with disability, or
- Have appropriate skills and experience in matters relevant to the interests of people with disability
Successful applicants will also demonstrate some or all of the following:
- Strategy and policy development skills
- A track record in innovation within their field
- Contemporary knowledge of disability in the Australian context, including the National Disability Insurance Scheme and the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, with a lived experience of disability being highly regarded
- An understanding of how people with disability interact with government and other sectors in aspects of their lives – civic, economic and community.
In order for the Disability Council to represent the broad range of people with disability in NSW, people with the following backgrounds or experiences are particularly encouraged to apply:
- Aboriginal/Torres Strait Islander
- culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) background
- ageing (over 65) or young (under 25)
- members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans and/or intersex (LGBTI) community
- from regional or rural NSW.
Role of members
The Council meets approximately six times per year in Sydney for full-day meetings. Members may also be expected to attend other meetings, which may be conducted by teleconference and/or videoconference. Members are also expected to contribute to the aims of the Disability Council between meetings – for example, by sitting on a working group.
Members receive sitting fees and out of pocket expenses for approved participation in meetings and events in accordance with the remuneration guidelines of NSW Premier and Cabinet for NSW Board and Committee members.
The Disability Council NSW is supported by a Secretariat within the NSW Department of Communities and Justice.
How to apply
To apply for membership please visit https://nswcommunities.smartygrants.com.au/dcrecruit and complete the application form, which is accessible to screenreaders.
If you are unable to access a computer or need to submit your application in an alternative format, or for any other reasonable adjustment to the application process, please contact Karen Jones, Manager, NSW Disability Council to discuss your needs:
Applications close at 11:59pm on Sunday 29 September 2019