NSW Carers Advisory Council
The Council provides advice to the NSW Government on legislation, policy and other matters relating to carers
Carers Advisory Council overview
NSW Carers (Recognition) Act 2010
The NSW Carers Advisory Council was established under the NSW Carers (Recognition) Act 2010. The objectives of the Act are to:
- enact a Carers Charter to recognise the role and contribution of carers to our community and to the people they care for
- increase awareness of the valuable contribution that carers make to our community.
About the NSW Carers Advisory Council
The NSW Carers Advisory Council advances the interests of carers. The Council provides advice to the NSW Government on legislation, policy and other matters relating to carers.
Carers provide ongoing unpaid support to people who need it because of their disability, chronic illness, mental ill-health, dementia or frail age.
Council members are appointed by the Minister for Disability Services for a four year term.
The majority of Council members have current or previous experience of being a carer. Members have diverse backgrounds and expertise and come from a range of metropolitan and regional areas in NSW. See biographies for each Council member.
- Prue Warrilow (Chair)
- Pam Webster (Deputy Chair)
- Catherine Bourke
- Dianne Brookes
- Rajni Chandran
- Mary-Jane Clark
- Philip Coller
- Rose Cox
- Anne Funke
- Maria Heaton
- Kirsty McIvor
- Elizabeth Wall
Directly appointed representatives
- Elena Katrakis, Chief Executive Officer, Carers NSW
- Tanya Smyth, Department of Family and Community Services
- Louise Farrell, NSW Ministry of Health
- Michael Fine, Adjunct Professor, Department of Sociology, Macquarie University
Manager, Carers Advisory Council Secretariat Team, Department of Family and Community Services
Level 3, 4-6 Cavill Avenue, Ashfield, NSW 2131
The Department of Family and Community Services provides the secretariat for the NSW Carers Advisory Council.
Recent Council Submissions
To ensure the voices of carers in NSW are heard the NSW Carers Advisory Council regularly provides submissions to enquiries and reviews of state and federal legislation and policy.
Please see the links below for the Council’s 2018 submissions: