Tenant Participation and Community Engagement
What is the Tenant Participation and Community Engagement (TPCE) program?
The aim of the TPCE is to improve outcomes for FACS housing tenants. It does this by making it easier for tenants to access information and advice about their housing, and by providing tenants with more opportunities to be involved in decisions on their tenancies and communities.
The NSW Government recently sought an Expression of Interest from non-government organisations (NGOs) to deliver an innovative tenant participation model. The NSW Government deemed Mission Australia successful to deliver TPCE across NSW due to their strong ability to innovate and leverage their own resources to deliver the best outcomes for tenants.
Through Mission Australia’s extensive networks, TPCE will link FACS housing tenants to outreach, advocacy and support services that can assist them to manage their tenancies and participate in their communities.
How does it work?
Mission Australia will work with each FACS District to identify local priority areas, and develop tailored District Priority Statements.
Each District will develop an annual service plan with Mission Australia that includes measurable outcomes they will monitor.
What are TPCE’s aims?
TPCE seeks to:
- empower people in social housing to independently manage their tenancies and build their capacity to participate in work and their community
- improve long term outcomes for Aboriginal people and families living in social housing by giving them a say about housing services
- develop a greater, inclusive presence in locations with high concentrations of social housing that face significant community issues and change
- partner with local services and community organisationsto create opportunities for tenants to volunteer
- align its program of work to each Districts’ specific priorities and report on that work in a consistent format aligned to the Districts’ annual service plans
- link services to Future Directions, the NSW Government’s 10-year vision for social housing
- encourage tenants to participate in processes and decisions about their tenancy and improve outreach to tenants who are harder to reach.
Why has FACS consolidated the Tenant Participation Resource Service (TPRS) and the Housing Communities Program (HCP)?
FACS conducted an industry review and stakeholder forums to assess current providers across NSW. The review revealed considerable duplication of services across these two programs, and the opportunity to boost outcomes for vulnerable tenants right across NSW. All funding from the TPRS and HCP programs was included in the new TPCE program.
How can I contact my local TPCE provider?
Mission Australia National Office
HSBC Building, Level 7
580 George Street
Sydney NSW 2000
PO Box 3515, Sydney NSW 2001
02 9219 2000
Sydney, South East Sydney, North Sydney District.
Kirsten Harmer - Regional Leader.
South West Sydney District
Saeli Masina - Area Manager.
Western Sydney, Nepean, Blue Mountains District
Julie Jasprizza-Laus – Area Manager.
Mid North Coast, Northern NSW District
Craig Westall – Regional Leader.
Hunter, New England, Central Coast District
Craig Westall – Regional Leader.
Illawarra Shoalhaven, Southern NSW District
Brett Fahey – Regional Leader.
Western NSW, Murrumbidgee, Far West District
Ann Winterton – Regional Leader.