Skip to Content

What can a tenant do if a complaint is received about them?

If a complaint is received about your tenancy DCJ will send a letter inviting you to attend a scheduled interview.

When you get the letter, you should:

  • cease any antisocial behaviour immediately.
  • contact DCJ immediately
  • follow the directions set out in the letter you have received
  • attend the scheduled interview
  • provide evidence to DCJ

You can also find details of support services at your local office or online at Infoxchange Service Seeker. Accessing support may assist you to meet your tenancy obligations and reduce the risk to your tenancy. For independent and free advice you can contact:

Tenants Advice and Advocacy Service
Enter your postcode to locate your closest office here

Aboriginal Tenants Advice and Advocacy Services
(local numbers provided)

Tenants’ Union of NSW
1800 251 101
(Monday 10am to 1pm and 2pm to 5pm)

NSW Fair Trading
133 220

Law Access NSW
1300 888 529

Appealing a Strike Notice for antisocial behaviour

If you believe the decision to issue a first Strike or second Strike Notice is wrong you should first discuss your concerns with your local office. If you still believe the decision made was wrong, you can ask to have the decision reviewed.

A request to review this decision must be made within 21 calendar days of the decision to issue a first or second Strike Notice. If you do not lodge an appeal within that period, no other appeal to DCJ or the Housing Appeals Committee will be available.

To do this fill in the review of decisions (first tier appeal) application form. Read more information about appealing and reviewing decisions.

Was this content useful?
Your rating will help us improve the website.
Last updated: 16 Aug 2023