Tips about how to keep children safe wherever they may be, including in the car, at the beach or pool, during hot weather and holidays, and at play..
Stay safe at the beach
If you live near the beach, or are visiting the beach on holidays, make sure you follow these safety tips from Surf Life Saving Australia:
- Find the flags and swim between them – they mark the safest place to swim at the beach
- Look at the safety signs – they help you identify potential dangers and daily conditions at the beach
- Ask a lifesaver for advice – surf conditions can change quickly, so always check before you or your children enter the water
- Get a friend to swim with you – you should never swim alone and you should always supervise your children whenever they are in or near the water
- Stick your hand up for help – if you get into trouble in the water, stay calm and raise your arm to signal for assistance. Don’t try to swim against a current or rip, but float with it.