Family is Culture legislative review discussion paper
Public consultation is now open on the changes to child protection and out-of-home care laws and practices affecting Aboriginal children.
We want your feedback.
The NSW Government is consulting on laws related to protecting Aboriginal children. This is based on recommended changes to child protection and out-of-home care from the 2019 Family is Culture Review.
There are 25 recommendations in the Family is Culture report related to child protection laws, court processes and administration.
We’re looking at which changes can be made immediately.
It’s important that we properly consider your views as a community member or stakeholder.
Your submissions are private and will not be published.
Submissions close on 27 May 2022.
Community engagement sessions
If you would like to learn more or have questions about the Family is Culture report, come and attend one of our community consultation sessions, either online or in person. View the stakeholder consultation timetable for locations and dates and email us at FamilyisCulture@facs.nsw.gov.au
How you can respond
1. Please read the Background and How you can respond sections of the discussion paper PDF, 2837.13 KB so you can have your say.
You can read the discussion paper PDF, 2837.13 KB to understand:
- what these recommendations are
- how they might change child protection laws and practices
- which recommendations are complex and may take longer to implement.
2. Then answer the questions we ask in the paper. You do not have to answer every question.
3. Email your responses to email@example.com. Please include:
- your organisation’s name and service address
- a contact person and their contact details
Your feedback will help us understand what you think of those that can be fast-tracked. And it will guide us on how we should approach implementing the more complex recommendations.
This consultation will also help us to implement the NSW Government’s commitments under: