Skip to Content

How much will carers receive?

The Post Care Education Financial Support allowance is a fortnightly allowance paid at standard Department of Communities and Justice (DCJ) rates determined by the young person’s level of support need.

Who is eligible?

In order to receive Post Care Education Financial Support:

  • the carer must have been receiving a care allowance immediately before the young person reached 18 years of age, and
  • the out-of-home care placement must have ended due to the young person reaching 18 years of age, and
  • the young person must be 18 to 24 years of age and live with the carer, and
  • the young person must be studying full-time in order to complete Year 12 or equivalent studies.

Eligibility for financial support under this policy does not influence eligibility for continuation of the Teenage Education Payment (TEP) which is assessed separately using the Teenage Education Payment Guidelines.

What courses of study are covered?

To be eligible for the payment, the young person in out-of-home care must be enrolled full-time in one of the following:

  • Higher School Certificate (HSC)
  • HSC via school-based apprenticeship or traineeship
  • HSC via Vocational Education and Training (VET) Board Endorsed courses
  • TAFE NSW Certificate IV in Tertiary Preparation
  • International Baccalaureate, diploma level.

Note: full-time study for the purpose of this allowance is 15 hours or more per week and can take place at a high school, TAFE or equivalent setting. Part-time studies may be considered on a case by case basis where a young person has parental responsibilities or health issues that prevent them from undertaking full-time studies.

How do carers apply?

DCJ carers will receive a Post Care Education Financial Support application form in the mail or from their caseworker. These carers should complete the application form and return it to DCJ.

Carers with a non-government agency will need to apply through their agency. Further information about the application process will be provided to carers by their agency.

Back payment may be provided for the previous quarter for carers who were eligible at that time.

Do carers have to provide proof of what they have spent the financial support on?

No. Post Care Education Financial Support is paid to the carer to help cover a young person’s day to day living expenses and carers are not expected to keep receipts or show their agency how the money is spent.

When does the Post Care Education Financial Support stop?

The Post Care Education Financial Support payments stop when the young person:

  • has completed their HSC or equivalent, or
  • stops studying full time, or
  • moves out of the carer’s home.

What other supports are available for young people completing their education?

The carer may also continue to receive Teenage Education Payment (TEP) installments where these payments were being paid immediately before the young person reached 18 years.

How do I get more information?

The policy on provision of financial support to foster and kinship carers of young people 18 years and older completing full-time studies is available here.

Alternatively you can:

  • talk to your caseworker or non-government agency
  • contact the Aboriginal Statewide Foster Carer Support Service on 1800 888 698 or
Was this content useful?
Your rating will help us improve the website.
Last updated: 18 Mar 2022