Free Safer Drivers Course
If you are on your L's and have completed at least 50 hours of log book driving time, you can be eligible to enrol in a Safer Drivers Course for free (usually $140).
This course teaches you how to minimise road risks by developing safe driving behaviour and is available in almost 250 locations across NSW - find a course provider close to you.
As well as making you a safer driver, completing this course you will earn a bonus 20 hours log book credit, so you only need to finish 100 hours of supervised driving outside the course.
To be eligible for a free place, you must:
- hold a valid NSW Learner driver’s licence
- be aged under 25 years
- have completed a minimum of 50 log book driving hours (not counting any 3-for-1 bonus hours, and some of those hours need to include night driving)
- provide a letter – evidence of OOHC status for Safer Drivers Course.
This factsheet has more information on eligibility and how to enrol - ask your carer or caseworker to help you to complete the forms.
How to enrol
1. Find and nominate a course provider in your area (your caseworker or carer can help you find a provider).
2. Obtain evidence of OOHC status. Your FACS or NGO caseworker will provide you with a completed letter – evidence of OOHC status for Safer Drivers Course. See example letter from FACS and example letter from an NGO.
3. Confirm free place on Safer Drivers Course by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org to advise of an OOHC enrolment. This can be done by your caseworker, carer or you can do it yourself.
You will need to provide:
- your name
- date of birth
- learner driver’s licence number
- scanned copy of the letter – evidence of OOHC status for Safer Drivers Course
- nominated course provider and location
- your contact details including an email address.
4. Roads and Maritime Services will inform the nominated course provider within 5 days that the learner driver is eligible to attend Safer Drivers Course at no cost. You (or your caseworker) will receive a confirmation email to inform you that the nominated course provider is aware of the pending enrolment.
5. You can now enrol. Contact the nominated course provider within 2 months of receiving confirmation from Roads and Maritime Services to enrol into the Safer Drivers Course.
Visit the YOU website to read about more help to get your driver licence - including free lessons, support and mentoring programs.