Skip to Content

DCJ provides support to young people who need a home or are at risk of not having a place to live anymore. This includes specific support for young parents, Aboriginal young people and people under 25 who identify as LGBTIQ.

DCJ may be able to help you find a place to live, and help pay the rent. We might also refer you to other services so you can access the right support locally, when you need it.

Finding a place to live

If you are over 18 and have a stable income you can probably either move into share accommodation with friends or look to renting your own place. If you are under 18 you may find that it is difficult to rent a house or sign a lease because of your age. You can check with a local community legal centre or a tenants' rights organisation, such as NSW Tenants website, about your rights in regard to this.

Click here to find supported accommodation services that may be available to you.

Are you safe?

If home is not safe and you have no place to stay, ring Link2home on 1800 152 152. This service is available 24/7 every day of the year, and can help you with up to 2 nights’ accommodation, as well as refer you to other services you may need around NSW.

If you need help with more accommodation after your initial 2 days, call or head to a local DCJ Housing office and ask for further temporary accommodation.

Other things you can do:

  • If you need urgent assistance and you’re in danger, call triple zero (000)
  • get help from friends, other family members or an adult that you trust
  • contact your local police service (particularly if you are younger than 18 years old)
  • call Kids Helpline on 1800 55 1800 to get immediate support and assistance as well as referral to crisis accommodation services near you.
Was this content useful?
Your rating will help us improve the website.
Last updated: 22 Jan 2020