Standard 6: Holistic assessment
- focus on children’s safety and needs
- include children, their family and all other important people
- think about the safety of children, no matter where they live
- find and invite extended family and community members to be involved
- talk to and work with families in a way that meets their needs
- spend time with children at their home and in other places, alone and while they are with their siblings, parents or carers
- respect children and their families as the experts in their life
- think of and respect each person’s identity and experiences – including their culture, gender, sexuality, disability, and family history
- use professional tools, knowledge and skills to understand how children have, or could be, harmed and to build safety
- think through all information carefully, and all the possibilities about what has happened and why
- make timely decisions based on evidence
- make sure that any decision to stop working with a family is in the best interests of the child, is well planned and all people involved with the family are included
Was this content useful?
Your rating will help us improve the website.
Last updated: 21 Apr 2022