Key documents and acknowledgements
- Practice Framework Standards- for DCJ staff PDF, 3923.99 KB
- Children and Young Person’s (Care and Protection) Act 1998
- Aboriginal Child and Young Person Placement Principles
- Aboriginal Case Management Policy
- Aboriginal Consultation Guide PDF, 1630.23 KB
- UN Convention on the Rights of the Child
- UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous People
- UN Convention on the Rights of People with Disabilities
- Charter of Rights for Children and Young People in Out of Home Care
Easy read version
You can access an easy read version of the Practice Standards here PDF, 1883.25 KB.
NSW Department of Communities and Justice (DCJ) acknowledges and honours Aboriginal people as the first people and traditional custodians of these lands. We apologise for the pain, loss and trauma experienced by Aboriginal people and families as a result of colonisation and the forced removals of children, dislocation from land and disconnection from culture due to injustices. These injustices continue to have a devastating impact on Aboriginal families, communities and cultural continuity. As the government agency responsible for supporting communities to keep children safe in NSW, we must not repeat injustices. We will use the spirit of self-determination by taking the family’s lead and find all opportunities for children, families and communities to participate in decision-making. Our goal is that Aboriginal children are safe, connected and have a lived experience of their culture.
The Office of the Senior Practitioner would like to thank youth consultants from Youth Consult for Change and young people from Settlement Services International for their wisdom, expertise and help developing these Standards. We would also like to recognise the generous contributions of DCJ practitioners captured in the Standards – with a particular thanks to Aboriginal and multicultural colleagues for their constant guidance, skill and support.
We would also like to acknowledge the Standards artwork copyright 2021, Mumbulla Creative.