Skip to Content

As at 29 October 2013, children whose legal adoptions were finalised overseas with DCJ’ assistance are now entitled to obtain NSW birth certificates.

Adult adoptees (18 years and over) and the legal guardians of adoptees are able to apply for a NSW birth certificate for a child when his or her adoption was finalised in a country covered by the Hague Adoption Convention, or a prescribed overseas jurisdiction, and DCJ authorised the adoption.

In order for a NSW birth certificate to be issued, the intercountry adoption must first be registered by NSW Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages.

To enable that registration to occur, DCJ must receive the Application for Notification to NSW Registry of Births Deaths & Marriages to Register an Intercountry Adoption from you requesting to notify NSW Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages of the adoption.

Was this content useful?
Your rating will help us improve the website.
Last updated: 21 Oct 2019