Skip to Content

In Australia it's unlawful to discriminate against someone based on their sexual orientation, gender, gender diversity, disability, age, race or marital status.

Certain services do have exemptions such as a women’s refuge who may refuse service to men, however, it would be unlawful for any women’s service to discriminate against anyone who identifies and lives as a woman.

If you have contact with a worker or services (including counsellors, social workers, telephone services, doctors, police and the courts) that you believe does not respect your identity or refuses to acknowledge your relationship, you can ask to speak to a manager or someone in charge. If you feel OK to do so, you can make a formal complaint.

If you believe that you've experienced discrimination from a service provider you can contact the:

Australian Human Rights Commission
1300 656 419

Anti-Discrimination Board NSW 
1800 670 812

If you believe that you have been discriminated against by Police you can call the:

Police customer assistance line 
1800 622 571

NSW Ombudsman’s Office 
1800 451 524

(Content on this page has been sourced from Say It Out Loud)

Was this content useful?
Your rating will help us improve the website.
Last updated: 24 Sep 2019