Skip to Content

The Domestic Violence Line is a NSW statewide telephone crisis counselling and referral service for women, including trans women.

If you or your children are in danger call Emergency Triple Zero 000

Counsellors on the Domestic Violence Line can help you:

  • talk to the police and get legal help
  • get hospital care and family support services
  • obtain an Apprehended Violence Order (AVO)
  • develop a safety plan for you and your children
  • find emergency accommodation for you and your children

Tell your workplace about the NSW Domestic Violence Line
Download this poster and place it in a public area of your office.

Want something more simple?
Download our shorter poster.

You can also show your support for the NSW Domestic Violence Line by including this banner on your email signature.

Help when you need it

When you call the Domestic Violence Line, the call will be answered by a trained female counsellor who is sensitive to the needs of women who have experienced domestic and family violence. You can ring as often as you need to at any time, day or night.

The female counsellor will listen to you. She won’t blame you or make you do anything you don’t want to do. She can give you information on what you can do and help you decide on your options.

Domestic Violence Line staff are aware of the needs of Aboriginal women and women from other cultures, as well as women living in rural and remote areas. Interpreters and TTY can be arranged where necessary to ensure all people, regardless of their language or disability can use the service.

For men experiencing domestic and family violence

if you are a man experiencing domestic and family violence you can contact:

Emergency housing and other help

Staff at the Domestic Violence Line can:

  • help you find a women's refuge and emergency housing
  • help you with transport for you and your children
  • explain services and supports available to you and what they do
  • refer you to family support services, counselling, hospitals
  • help you contact police, courts and lawyers


Female staff can also explain what an Apprehended Violence Order (AVO) is and how to get one. If necessary, they can get Police help and, if needed, help in transporting you and your children to a safe place.

Was this content useful?
Last updated: 25 Nov 2019