Land and Housing Corporation overview
Who we are
The NSW Land and Housing Corporation (LAHC) is responsible for the management of the NSW Government’s social housing portfolio. LAHC is a Public Trading Enterprise (PTE) established in 2001 under the Housing Act 2001 and operates under the portfolio and direction of the Minister for Family and Community Services and Minister for Social Housing. LAHC and FACS work together to achieve a unified administration of the Act.
LAHC owns and manages land, buildings and other assets within the social housing portfolio, which comprises some 130,000 properties valued at over $35 billion.
- Efficiently manage land and housing assets by maintaining and upgrading existing properties; planning and developing properties and acquiring and disposing of properties
- Support the Government in optimising its social housing portfolio through financially-sustainable asset management
- Procure efficient tenancy management services
- Collaborate with government and non-government sectors to implement policies and initiatives to support the Government’s social housing objectives.
What we do
LAHC supports the priorities of the Government's social housing policy Future Directions for Social Housing in NSW through:
- increasing and accelerating the supply of social housing
- providing a better experience for public housing tenants
- improving the fit-for-purpose of public housing
- effective and transparent financial management within government's policy parameters
- engaging with the wider housing sector, industry, and government for better social housing outcomes.
Future Directions for Social Housing in NSW sets out the Government’s vision to transform the social housing system over the next 10 years. LAHC plays a critical role in delivering the benefits of this new and innovative model for social housing. In particular, a key feature is the Communities Plus program where LAHC will fast-track the redevelopment of its social housing portfolio in partnership with the private sector and community housing sector to deliver 23,000 new and replacement social housing dwellings and more than 500 affordable dwellings in integrated communities with more than 40,000 private dwellings.
Millers Point - The NSW Government is selling government owned properties in Millers Point, Dawes Point and The Rocks that are returning hundreds of millions of dollars back into the social housing system. The proceeds of the sale of these properties is financing the construction of a significant number of new, more suitable social housing across the wider Sydney area, the Illawarra and the North Coast of NSW.
Communities Plus -Under the Future Directions strategy, LAHC will deliver the Communities Plus program, one of the Government’s key initiatives to grow the social housing portfolio. The program will deliver up to 23,000 new and replacement social housing dwellings, 500 affordable housing dwellings and up to 40,000 private dwellings.
Asset Maintenance Services (AMS) Contract – The AMS Contract is a new maintenance LAHC contract that aims to improve maintenance services, efficiency and tenant experience within social housing across NSW. The AMS contract subcontracts to local Community Service Organisations, providing services to tenants and building maintenance. Social obligation targets that are defined in the AMS contract as follows:
- Tenant employment
- Engagement with community
- Aboriginal participation
- Local industry and community participation.
Five head contractors delivering services across NSW under the AMS Contract:
- Broadspectrum Service areas: Inner City, Blacktown, Penrith and Blue Mountains, Eastern and Southern Suburbs, Bankstown, Fairfield and Liverpool, Parramatta, Northern Suburbs, Newcastle and Hunter
- Spotless Service areas: Central Coast, Illawarra, Inner West
- Lake Maintenance Service areas: Southern Highlands, Southern Tablelands and South Coast
- O’Donnell & Hanlon Service areas: North Coast, New England
- Joss Facilities Management (Joss Group) Service areas: Riverina, Central West.
Property ownership enquiries
Enquiries related to LAHC’s ownership of properties can be emailed to LAHCPropertyEnquiries@facs.nsw.gov.au
Tenders and contracts
For information about tender opportunities with LAHC please visit our eTendering website . The site includes upcoming, current and closed business opportunities.
Property Development companies can participate in the delivery of Communities Plus , through registering on the NSW Prequalification Scheme and/or through responding directly to market calls for projects.
For further information on our program and future sites that will be released to the market please refer to www.communitiesplus.com.au .
Locked Bag 4009
Phone: (02) 8753 9000
Media enquiries – FACS Media Unit
Positions available within LAHC can be found at I work for NSW.